PDA

View Full Version : Is this it for my pads?

GenesisCoupe
06-08-2014, 08:36 PM
Hi everyone!

Recently myself and my detail partner tackled this g37 in a one step correction detail using Poorboy's "Polish with Sealant". The product itself was beige in color. After washing the pads in pad cleaner and APC they are still stained in a weird color. The paint on the g37 read anywhere from 3.9 to 4.7 on MILs reading. These are LC flat WHITE pads btw..

Thoughts? 2823528236

Judge
06-08-2014, 08:49 PM
They might still be ok if you've cleaned them well. Staining doesn't necessarily mean there's left over abrasives or sealant. It could just be left over dye that was added to the product. That's my 2 cents anyways.

brondondolon
06-08-2014, 09:28 PM
Looks like the car wasnt entirely clean or you buffed on rubber. Pads are cheap id just replace them.

swanicyouth
06-08-2014, 10:24 PM
Did you clay the car first?

I agree it looks like you buffed over some black rubber/seals/gaskets. However, the car in the pic doesn't look like it has much (any?) of this type of rubber exposed. Also, when you buff over rubber, common sense tell you not to do it - so it's usually mostly on the edge of the pad.

I've seen this kind of trash on pads before. I've seen it when a car had bonded contaminants and was polished without decontamination. A lot of times you will see it when using a white pad to buff big mirrors on a truck that stick out like donkey ears. These mirrors are perpendicular to the air flow when driving and take a lot of bugs and trash from the air. Sometimes if you don't clay them well, you will get black gunk like that on a white pad. I'm thinking that is what happened here, only on a larger scale.

I have had success cleaning that black gunk off completely with IPA & mineral spirits and the pads came out clean as new. However, it's labor intensive.

Another possible explanation is the car may have had tinted clear. This should be pretty easy to figure out buffing an area with a white towel and a white polish by hand.

GenesisCoupe
06-09-2014, 07:30 AM
The car was clayed before the polishing process. The rubber trim was very minimal, however i think it might have something to do with the decontamination process. The car was an Arizona original, then taken to Wisconsin, and lastly Illinois without many car washes. This was it's first wash since winter (besides rain). It's a 2012 G37.

I think a medium or heavy duty clay should have helped but since i was mobile i only had the Speedy Prep towel with me.

Paul A.
06-09-2014, 08:02 AM
My white pads seem to always suffer the worst staining however i continue to use them after a good, thorough cleaning even after unsuccesful attempts to get them back to new looking. Staining of pads has never deterred me from using them again after i inspect them well and i have had no issues with performance.

swanicyouth
06-09-2014, 08:11 AM
The car was clayed before the polishing process. The rubber trim was very minimal, however i think it might have something to do with the decontamination process. The car was an Arizona original, then taken to Wisconsin, and lastly Illinois without many car washes. This was it's first wash since winter (besides rain). It's a 2012 G37.

I think a medium or heavy duty clay should have helped but since i was mobile i only had the Speedy Prep towel with me.

Yes... I've seen this from my mirrors - even after I clayed them with fine clay. I spot baggy tested the car after, but skipped the mirrors. Then I polished them and my white Rupes 4" pad looked like yours. I'm guessing it was some contaminate/bug guts.