PDA

View Full Version : Need help with inside glass cleaning

Th3 Factory Freak
06-08-2014, 07:07 PM
Hello,

I'm trying to clean the inside of my windshield and no matter what I try, I get nothing but streaks.

So you remember when you bought a brand new car and all the windows were perfect? That seem to change overtime and getting them perfect again does not seem to come easy.

I do work inside a garage, so there is no sun. It is hot though, today is about 100.

So far i tried the following:

1. Vinegar and paper towels.

2. P21S all purpose cleaner. (made more of a mess than cleaned)

I use a high intensity LED light to check my work, but I keep getting smears and smudges. Then when I go on a drive and the sun hits the windshield, all the mess is visible.

Do I need to use steam cleaning here?

Feed back please

Evan.J
06-08-2014, 07:10 PM
Fast glass towel will solve your problem. Troy did a review of it just search for it. I love them

BobbyG
06-08-2014, 07:12 PM
The key to streak-free glass is using a quality cleaner and 2, two, 2 clean microfiber waffle glass towels. Be sure to use distilled water with your glass cleaners..

Meguiar's Glass Cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/mg12001.html) is my go to cleaner...

Towel 1

The first towel is for cleaning the glass. Spray light application of glass cleaner then wipe with the towel. Flip the towel exposing a clean section to avoid redepositing contaminates.

The idea is to use just enough product to dissolve the contaminates then have the towel absorb the liquid. Using the same section over and over will eventually do noting more than smear the glass.

Towel 2

The second towel is for wiping or going over the section just cleaned. This towel will remove anything left and wipe away any streaks that may exist...

builthatch
06-08-2014, 07:17 PM
the key is totally removing whatever is causing the haze. you only get that, initially at least, by changing towels often between steps.

i use these super duper thin low (almost zero) nap glass cloths i got from DI. they are weird, they actually feel somewhat abrasive in a way when dry...but they aren't.

keep using your favorite glass cleaner liberally and flip then change towels until all of the crap is gone. once it's gone, lightly go over the glass again with a clean cloth and it should be perfect. i use Meguiar's D120 mixed with distilled water. one gallon makes 11 gallons of glass cleaner solution so there is no reason to be thrifty with the sprayer!

i've also used Opti-Clean but it's more expensive and overkill for such a menial task.

TrolleyVW
06-08-2014, 08:40 PM
Agreeing with all that's been said, I use a sparse amount of product and only wipe in one direction with the first towel and then buff off with a second dry towel in all directions.

Th3 Factory Freak
06-08-2014, 08:40 PM
Just came back from the garage.

It worked! I used Stoner glass cleaner and 2 towels.

Th3 Factory Freak
06-08-2014, 08:41 PM
Question 2:

How do I clean the NAV screen safely? I looked at the vehicle manual, but nothing was mentioned.

builthatch
06-08-2014, 08:49 PM
i fold a soft, clean microfiber in quarters and spray one side pretty liberally with Opti-Clean, i wipe lightly, then flip the towel and dry lightly. i check to make sure it's clean and if so, that's it. if not, i'll hit it again with the wet side of the folded cloth. any remaining cleaner will evaporate.

i don't like using anything that doesn't buffer dust, pollen, dirt, etc. very well when wiping.

i don't know what you have in your arsenal but ONR in quick detailer dilution will work too.

spiralout462
06-08-2014, 08:56 PM
Fast glass towel will solve your problem. Troy did a review of it just search for it. I love them

:iagree:

Fast Glass and distilled water is all I use anymore.

spiralout462
06-08-2014, 08:58 PM
Question 2:

How do I clean the NAV screen safely? I looked at the vehicle manual, but nothing was mentioned.

I like 1Z Cockpit Premium or Meg's Quik Interior Detailer with a quality microfiber. The 1Z works better than certain dedicated LCD cleaners in my experience.

tiSS'er
06-08-2014, 09:37 PM
Stoner Invisible Glass with the short nap side of a MF towel.

60% of the time, it works everytime :)

DaveT435
06-08-2014, 10:26 PM
The suede microfiber make great screen cleaners.

Angler
06-09-2014, 11:02 AM

Same here. So easy and great results. :xyxthumbs:

Red91Laredo
06-09-2014, 11:53 AM
I also like Invisible Glass, and agree that using two microfiber towels works great, since using a clean section of the towel is essential to avoid having smudges or streaks.

I've been wondering lately though if anybody uses ONR to clean the inside of their windows. It works great on the outside of the glass when I wash my car, so I imagine it would work just as well on the inside. The only thing is it's not very practical to mix up a bucket of solution just to clean my windows. I'm thinking about mixing up a spray bottle using the normal dilution ratio made with distilled water to see how it works when used like a glass cleaner.