PDA

View Full Version : Iron X -- what is the right process

spewking
06-08-2014, 05:27 PM
I am going to full a full detail and use iron x for the first time. I need help as to the proper process and order of steps.

Carpro says to use iron x on a dry car. Correct?

My proposed process is the following:

Wash with CG citrus wash (should I iron x before the first wash?)
Blow dry
Iron x -- use as directed with sitting time and slight agitation
Rinse (should I wash again at this step?)
Nano skin
Wash with CG Citrus (or is a rinse and wipe ok?)
Polish

Thanks.

refreshauto
06-08-2014, 05:38 PM
Iron-x first, have 2 bucket wash ready to go before you start. Then follow your normal process

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AG Online

TrolleyVW
06-08-2014, 06:20 PM
I have always done:
Rinse
Presoak
2 bucket wash
Rinse
Iron-X
Dwell
Agitate with mitt
Rinse starting with the side agitated first.

Sbmin
06-08-2014, 06:37 PM
I have always done:
Rinse
Presoak
2 bucket wash
Rinse
Iron-X
Dwell
Agitate with mitt
Rinse starting with the side agitated first.

:iagree:

mwoolfso
06-08-2014, 08:05 PM
I am going to full a full detail and use iron x for the first time. I need help as to the proper process and order of steps.

Carpro says to use iron x on a dry car. Correct?

My proposed process is the following:

Wash with CG citrus wash (should I iron x before the first wash?)
Blow dry
Iron x -- use as directed with sitting time and slight agitation
Rinse (should I wash again at this step?)
Nano skin
Wash with CG Citrus (or is a rinse and wipe ok?)
Polish

Thanks.

The thing with IronX that you absolutely do not want to do is let it dry on your paint. It will stain the paint, guaranteed. So..... perform this step out of direct sunlight. It you cannot, which I run into from time to time, I rinse the car after wash and then let the car dry out a little; basically let the car finish dripping. After that, the remaining water will help the product dwell. The benefits and additional insurance outweigh the risk of using more product than if you performed this on a totally dry vehicle. Aside from this context I spray IronX on a panel at a time, let it dwell for about 45 seconds, then I run a damp microfiber applicator over the panel and work the product in, let it dwell again and once I think the application has run it's course I thoroughly rinse and move on to the next panel. That last rinse covers your question as to whether or not you rinse or wash again.

The Critic
06-08-2014, 08:24 PM
Wash
Dry (mostly)
Iron-X, allow to dwell for a few min
Spread with damp mf towel or applicator
Dwell for a few more minutes
Rinse
Clay

spewking
06-08-2014, 08:36 PM
Thanks to all for the feedback.
I can't wait to see how iron x and the nano skin prepare my paint.

TundraPower
06-08-2014, 09:38 PM
Iron-X is a good product. I like Auto Finesse Iron Out better but that's my preference. Wash the car totally and dry. Put it in a cool place out of the Sun. Saturate vehicle completely. Set timer for 15 minutes. Rinse car. Keep rinsing. Keep rinsing. Dry with leaf blower.

The Guz
06-08-2014, 10:52 PM
For some reason I could never get autofinesse to work for me. I would wash and dry. Then I apply autofinesse with the car in the shade and it still started to dry out on me. I had to do the car in sections. I was lucky to even let it sit for 5 minutes.

I have tried it twice and same thing both times.

swanicyouth
06-08-2014, 11:01 PM
If you don't have access to a garage (sun) or are just looking for a different way to do this, you could do it the way I do it.

Wash the panel, rinse and give it a once over with a waffle weave to sort of dry it. Since you just sprayed it with copious amounts of water - it should be cool. Then spray your IronX on clean panel and spread it out with a sponge. Let it react - then rinse. Move onto next panel/area.

That way, you only have to really have to dry the whole car once. The car doesn't need to be bone dry to use IronX, but the area you are working on should be pretty dry as not to dilute out the active ingredients in the IronX or similar product. Plus, since you are only working on a panel, it's easier to keep an eye on it and give it a quick spray with water or product if it starts drying.

TundraPower
06-09-2014, 08:44 AM
For some reason I could never get autofinesse to work for me. I would wash and dry. Then I apply autofinesse with the car in the shade and it still started to dry out on me. I had to do the car in sections. I was lucky to even let it sit for 5 minutes. I have tried it twice and same thing both times.

You're not using enough product or the surface is too warm. I use probably 1 - 1.5 liters of product per vehicle. You want it just barely dripping off of the surfaces.

mwoolfso
06-09-2014, 02:29 PM
You're not using enough product or the surface is too warm. I use probably 1 - 1.5 liters of product per vehicle. You want it just barely dripping off of the surfaces.

Not intending to be argumentative here but rather for the sake of discussion I agree with your first and third points. In my experience I have never gone through a full liter on any sedan or SUV I have detailed - maybe 12 oz. at most. Now I have never used AutoFinesse's product either so maybe that is the difference.

TundraPower
06-09-2014, 02:38 PM
Not intending to be argumentative here but rather for the sake of discussion I agree with your first and third points. In my experience I have never gone through a full liter on any sedan or SUV I have detailed - maybe 12 oz. at most. Now I have never used AutoFinesse's product either so maybe that is the difference.

No worries...that's just how I roll. I'm quite sure I use too much but it works for great for me. I apply it with a pressurized sprayer.