PDA

View Full Version : 3d Printing

Pages : [1] 2 3

BlueBeast14GT
06-08-2014, 11:38 AM
So, anyone here into 3d printing?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/g3d.PNG (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/77321)

BlueBeast14GT
06-08-2014, 10:42 PM
Completed, and to exact specifications.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/g3d2.PNG

cshamilton
06-09-2014, 12:08 AM
I'm so confused

Goin Rogue
06-09-2014, 02:45 AM
Nice. Wish I had a printer......

HUMP DIESEL
06-09-2014, 06:59 AM
We have a place nearby called ThePrintMachine that has a 3D printer...If it is to exact specs, do you have a lawyer???

HUMP

Paul A.
06-09-2014, 07:14 AM
Wow! Great idea but like Hump said, maybe keep it on the QT.

Setec Astronomy
06-09-2014, 07:38 AM
We have a place nearby called ThePrintMachine that has a 3D printer...If it is to exact specs, do you have a lawyer???

Is the Grit Guard patented? I have a package from about 10 years ago that says "patent pending". Besides, if he's not selling them he's not violating anything. If he whittled one out of wood, would he need a lawyer (if he wasn't selling them)?

yakky
06-09-2014, 07:46 AM
You can make patented stuff all day long as long as you don't try to sell it.

Cool project but not practical. I'd bet it cost more in plastic wire than a real grit guard. And then printed stuff is about 30% as strong as cast or injected.

cplchris
06-09-2014, 07:49 AM
what kind of machine do you have access to? fdm or sla? if it is just an fdm then i would make the flat cross pieces that support the grid a bit thicker so they dont break easily (fdm is for the most part fragile in comparison to injection moulding or sla)

Setec Astronomy
06-09-2014, 07:51 AM
Cool project but not practical. I'd bet it cost more in plastic wire than a real grit guard.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, but I'm sure part of this was the challenge of modeling it.

BlueBeast14GT
06-09-2014, 10:17 AM
You can make patented stuff all day long as long as you don't try to sell it.

Cool project but not practical. I'd bet it cost more in plastic wire than a real grit guard. And then printed stuff is about 30% as strong as cast or injected.

Exactly, I don't intend on selling anything. I was just using this as a topic starter. If anything, I would just post the file for free.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, but I'm sure part of this was the challenge of modeling it.

That was pretty much the whole reason. I just wanted to see what I could do. A friend of mine got a printer, so I started playing around.

I will however be printing the grit guard extension I created (https://tinkercad.com/things/gWtWXGd1og7). They don't seem to sell them separately from the universal pad washer, and it's the only piece I'm missing from my homemade pad washer.

oldmodman
06-10-2014, 04:01 AM
I like the guy that printed entire high capacity magazines and entire receivers for a semi-auto 223. He did it not only to piss off the BATF but just to see if it would work. It did.

And my dentist makes custom dental stuff like temporaries in office with his 3D dental camera and CAD system.

It's a coming technology. Just saw someone making toy statues to order at a show. That way he only has to stock the material. Not 350 different characters.

BobbyG
06-10-2014, 05:03 AM
I need a new truck! My old one is a 1999 so of you could print me a new one I'd be much obliged!! :props: :laughing:

b0b
06-10-2014, 05:30 AM
My uncle has a 3D printer at his home... He sells them.. I would love the file and see if he can make it just for fun.

Are there any "improvments" that can be done taking advantage of the new 3D printing technology? Any ideas?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

cplchris
06-10-2014, 07:42 AM
I like the guy that printed entire high capacity magazines and entire receivers for a semi-auto 223. He did it not only to piss off the BATF but just to see if it would work. It did.

And my dentist makes custom dental stuff like temporaries in office with his 3D dental camera and CAD system.

It's a coming technology. Just saw someone making toy statues to order at a show. That way he only has to stock the material. Not 350 different characters.

look into sintered metal 3d printing. i forgot the name of the company but they successfully printed a completely assembled and fully functioning 1911, threw a mag in and fired every round without any issue.