PDA

View Full Version : Cutting power of the rupes?

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Mike Phillips
06-09-2014, 07:31 AM
everyone should own at least one traditional style DA, it's versatile and can be used in many different situations.

I still use the PC do do entire corrections, machine wet sand cars and machine wax cars.

Would recommend everyone to own a PC.

I personally like to have as many tools as I can to do whatever job arises.

More tools enables a person to choose the right tool for the job and also enables you to put a tool in someone else's hand to help you out.

:)

Zelfiris
06-09-2014, 08:01 AM
I own the 15ES (no washer mod) and I do find the machine not to spin concave surfaces. I have learned to tilt it on a slight angle so it continues to rotate but I find it easier to leave those areas to my Rupes Mini.

As per previous recommendations, get the whole system or at least the Rupes pads to use with the machine. It is the smoothest polishing experience ever. I use light to medium pressure and haven't found any needs to put down heavy pressure

parttimer
06-09-2014, 08:30 AM
I have both the Flex and Rupes, the Flex while a powerhouse beats me up. The vibration, the machine leaves me tired. The rupes, that thing I can run one handed and it a breeze on flat panels. I still have not mastered the Rupes on rounded, convex or concave panels which frustrates me. Is the Rupes a time saver, you bet and you will see better finishing in the shorter time.

aburgeson
06-09-2014, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the replies. I find the flex too much for me. Its hard enough on flat portions of the car, on the vertical panels it was killing me. I know its my technique but right now I dont have the time to play around with it. I need something faster that wont kill me in the process lol

Ronyx
06-09-2014, 09:56 AM
... I still have my PC 7424 XP but use it very little. ...

I'm with you on this one. My PC is 20 years old and since I got my flex 3401 4 years ago I've not used the PC . Occasionally I will use the PC with MF bonnets for removing polish and that isn't very often.

Ecoshine
06-09-2014, 10:03 AM
I love my Rupes 21, its smooth, and easy to handle. It cuts well too, but like any other machine, getting use to it is the learning curve.

Old Tiger
06-09-2014, 10:05 AM
Get a Flex 3401 VRG I still have my PC 7424 XP but use it very little. Once you get a Flex which is the ONLY FORCED ROTATION DA and more powerful than any other free floating DA...PERIOD. Once you try out a Flex 3401 VRG you will never go back to a free floating DA. Additionally, the Flex is less expensive, there are more backing plates for it, there are more pad options from 4" to 6.5" and you do not "eat" the pads that are not designed by Rupes. Every other pad not made by Rupes tends to either lose their backing or the pads get ripped because of the rotation being to aggressive for those pads.

If it were me look into a Flex before spending $$ on a Rupes.

I will probably cause a stink now, however, this is MY OPINION.
I too will blaspheme! If you are only going to buy one machine, the FLEX has unrivalled versatility as stated so well above. There is a learning curve but IME it wasn't bad!

Old Tiger
06-09-2014, 10:14 AM
Rupes all the way. Once you master the operation of the machine, you will find that it will cut every bit as well as the 3401.

The forced rotation of the Flex is way overrated. The complaints of lack of rotation on the Rupes are from people who are either using the wrong Rupes for the job, or have not learned how to properly use the machine.

And this coming from someone who sold their 3401 and now has a LHR21ES, Duetto and 75e mini.
I don't doubt your opinion, but you paid a fortune for the versatility of the FLEX, purchasing 3 RUPES to do what one FLEX can do with the LC BP purchase for ~ $60.

aburgeson
06-09-2014, 01:05 PM
I just found the flex to be a real challenge with the 6.5 inch pads. I know it must be me not having the pad flush against the paint but there are curves in my car, and i like curves lol.

slimnib
06-09-2014, 01:14 PM
Italian made tools are not famous for their quality or durability They are pretty, but not long lasting or of great use. I find it hard to believe that a Rupes will last very long. If I was going to buy a tool for heavy everyday use, I would look somewhere else.

HUMP DIESEL
06-09-2014, 01:42 PM
I have three at this time, a Rupes 15, a Rupes Mini 75 and then a Griots Garage DA. I use all three, but when it comes to correcting, I start with the Rupes 15, and alternate between that and the 75, when I get into tight spaces. I have not found a vehicle yet where I have needed anything else. I use the GG for wax or sealant application, and sometimes carpet. I use the 75 for small areas or spot correction of areas once I walk around the whole vehicle.

I just remembered, I have four, I have a Dewalt DW849 with a 3" backing plate. I use it as well for spot repair and also for polishing brightwork.

HUMP

Rsurfer
06-09-2014, 01:47 PM
I want to purchase a rupes polisher. Still torn on the 15 or 21. Reading the posts fellow members have made has made this decision so hard. So many people have such good insight on each one. Since I still am torn on which one to get, my main question is will both of these polishers have more cutting power than the porter cable? I mostly use 5.5 inch pads except on the roof and hood of my car. I just want to speed up my detailing time a bit. I do other cars for friends and starting to branch out to other people for side jobs. I mainly just do 1 car a weekend for a little extra spending cash but need a way to speed up the time

aburgeon, don't get mislead by the number of people recommending the Flex over the Rupes. There are probably 10X's more people that own the Flex than the Rupes. Since they are great polishers, you will find an overwhelming number that will favor the Flex. Your question was is it going to be the 21 or the 15? My vote goes for the 21 and Mini.

Andr3wilson
06-09-2014, 02:08 PM
aburgeon, don't get mislead by the number of people recommending the flex over the rupes. There are probably 10x's more people that own the flex than the rupes. Since they are great polishers, you will find an overwhelming number that will favor the flex. Your question was is it going to be the 21 or the 15? my vote goes for the 21 and mini.

yup

DBAILEY
06-10-2014, 03:27 AM
Get a Flex 3401 VRG I still have my PC 7424 XP but use it very little. Once you get a Flex which is the ONLY FORCED ROTATION DA and more powerful than any other free floating DA...PERIOD. Once you try out a Flex 3401 VRG you will never go back to a free floating DA. Additionally, the Flex is less expensive, there are more backing plates for it, there are more pad options from 4" to 6.5" and you do not "eat" the pads that are not designed by Rupes. Every other pad not made by Rupes tends to either lose their backing or the pads get ripped because of the rotation being to aggressive for those pads.

If it were me look into a Flex before spending $$ on a Rupes.

I will probably cause a stink now, however, this is MY OPINION.

Wrong, The Makita BO6040 has the ability to switch from FORCED ROTATION DA to just DA action and is an extremely powerful machine in either mode. I think there is a Bosch machine that does this also. However, you only get the 6" backing plate option.

VISITOR
06-10-2014, 04:28 AM
Italian made tools are not famous for their quality or durability They are pretty, but not long lasting or of great use. I find it hard to believe that a Rupes will last very long. If I was going to buy a tool for heavy everyday use, I would look somewhere else.

the rupes QC isn't very good and when you pay the premium price for a tool like this, it should be near spotless (yes, i know the main thing is function but still) as far as exterior appearance (scratches, worn look in some areas). when flex comes out with another DA i will be all over it, their QC is better IMO...