PDA

View Full Version : Prepping plastic trim for opticoat

Autogk
06-07-2014, 07:33 PM
Finally finished applying OC 2.0 on my fullsize truck. I did 2 coats 1-2 weeks apart. Anyway, I'm going to start a light paint correction and prep my wife's Honda CR-V. It has a lot of plastic trim, including the bumpers. I've been maintaining the plastic with products like Mothers Back to Black and Meg's version. I really want to opticoat them though bc I opticoated a piece of plastic trim on my truck (chin spoiler) and am very happy with the results. The problem is I don't know how to prep the trim because it has areas that look faded or uneven in color (the trim products hide this). Any suggestions?

Thanks

swanicyouth
06-07-2014, 08:08 PM
Since you have been using "dressings" on this trim, it's essential to remove every last bit of dressing/silicone from the trim for the coating to last. IMHO APC/IPA will not guarantee this. That is what most people will recommend cleaning it with.

I would use Tuff Shine Tire Cleaner and a cotton wash cloth type towel to scrub the trim. I recommend the TS product because it's the only product I know specifically designed to remove "dressings" and dirt 100% from rubber, which is harder to clean than plastics. That is what I used, and coating my trim was quite successful (DLux). My guess is OC is even more finicky to a "clean surface", than DLux - so you really have to make sure the trim is clean.

Autogk
06-07-2014, 08:25 PM
Thanks, that's good advice. I've used that tire cleaner before with good results. I should have done this on my mudflaps bc the plastic turned slightly white in a couple of spots when I applied OC.

refreshauto
06-07-2014, 09:35 PM
this is what i use on the trim of the cars i work on. it works and so far after a few customer cars that have had it on for a little over 6 months it has held up really well.

Gtechniq C4 Permanent Trim Restorer, rubber trim sealant, trim restorers, gtech c4 (http://www.autogeek.net/gtech-c4-trim-restorer.html)