PDA

View Full Version : Deep cleaning foam pads

spewking
06-07-2014, 10:55 AM
Recently saw the AG thread about deep cleaning microfiber towels with a process of soaking in boiling water for 15 minutes and then proceeding to the wash process.

I am working on my first cycle now, and was wondering if this would also be a process for deep cleaning foam polishing pads? It may be too harsh and not recommended due to high temps. The process I use now is soaking in DP pad rejuvenator as I use in detailing, then use brush and squeeze pressure to remove waxes, compounds and soak/rinse x2.

Do you think a soaking in hot or boiling water would be a good first step immediately after pads are used the detailing routine or to freshen up all the used pads at some later date?

Thanks for your advice.

ScubaCougr
06-07-2014, 11:26 AM
I would be concerned about loosening the glue that holds the velcro on the pad, but only way to know for certain is to try it with one or two pads.

Snappy Clean, DP Pad cleaner or similar product isn't that expensive and does a great job.

VP Mark
06-07-2014, 11:42 AM
I keep a 5 gallon bucket with 1/2 cup proforce degreaser in it and chuck pads in it when done. Once I have a bunch I rinse them and they dry and look amazing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AG Online

swanicyouth
06-07-2014, 12:05 PM
Boiling towels is a bad idea IMHO. They are made of synthetic polyester & polyamide fibers. What exact temperature they start to damage at is a mystery. I've never seen any MF manufacturer recommend boiling towels. Boiling pads sounds like something I would never do - unless I planned on eating them.

Towels will come pretty clean if washed with a good MF soap in a washing machine with hot water.