PDA

View Full Version : Brake Haze on Chrome Clad Wheels

Shawnw
06-07-2014, 07:55 AM
Hey guys,

I typically search and don't post often anymore, but need a little assistance in choosing the right product today. My girlfriends Ford Edge has the factory Chrome Clad wheels that have a slight brown haze from neglected brake dust. The brake dust itself is gone but the wheel covers still have a haze like they've faded. I'm not sure what the best product is to choose here (locally, if it's not "in stock" in my basement). What would you recommend? Unfortunately I don't have any Sonax on hand but I do have a slew of APC's (OPC, Meguiars, etc...). I also have some Westley's Bleche White that I typically use on tires but I'm not sure I trust it on the wheels.

Thanks for any insight!
Shawn

Setec Astronomy
06-07-2014, 08:02 AM
Clay? I guess the crux of this is whether you have film or particles. Based on what you have on hand I'd try OPC full strength (make sure not to let it dry) and agitate. Then you might clay, and follow with a polish to get the color back to "chrome". Sorry if that's more work than you were thinking about.

I am so tired of cleaning wheels, I now try to Opti-Coat them and I just got some Hydr02 for the ones that aren't Opti-Coated yet. The beauty of Opti-Coat is you can use pretty much whatever wheel cleaner you want without worrying about removing your LSP.

DaveT435
06-07-2014, 08:03 AM
Do you have any iron x? I've never used it on chrome, but I would think it would be fine since Sonax is safe on all wheel finishes...

Shawnw
06-07-2014, 08:20 AM
I briefly tried some clay and some IronX as well. Both seemed to have little/no impact on the haze. I will post some photos here shortly to help show you guys what I'm looking at. I'm just getting started on cleaning these bad boys. Amount of effort required is a moot point really....happy girlfriend = happy me, as I'm sure many of you are aware!

Shawn

Evan.J
06-07-2014, 11:42 AM
I use either a chrome polish or P21 chrome polishing soap. Those should so the trick