PDA

View Full Version : Drying black accord

Pages : [1] 2

frankprozzoly
06-06-2014, 06:26 PM
I took advice to ring out a waffle weave to dry the car. After shampoo wash I used the metro vac. Then sprayed a little megs express wash over a section then rung out the WW to wipe down. I still got streaks. Maybe I dryed it too much with the master blaster first. I got streaks and water spots. I should've bought white or silver. I used hyper dressing for the first time. That stuff is awesome.

tiSS'er
06-06-2014, 06:35 PM
I took advice to ring out a waffle weave to dry the car. After shampoo wash I used the metro vac. Then sprayed a little megs express wash over a section then rung out the WW to wipe down. I still got streaks. Maybe I dryed it too much with the master blaster first. I got streaks and water spots. I should've bought white or silver. I used hyper dressing for the first time. That stuff is awesome.

Welcome to the world of black cars. :xyxthumbs: I struggle with streaks as well, but that is because it is 110 degrees here. Wish I had some good advice your you, but I'm still trying to get a fool proof solution as well.

frankprozzoly
06-06-2014, 06:37 PM
Looks great clean. Doesn't last long

tiSS'er
06-06-2014, 06:47 PM
Looks great clean. Doesn't last long

Yeah I know. Nothing looks like a black car, but damn it's a lot of work. I have found that using a waterless wash every few days not only keeps it looking great, but makes washing in general much easier. I also can go much longer between washes. Keep in mind I am in Phoenix, so we rarely see rain, only dust.

My favorite waterless wash right now is Pinnacle, it makes the car look incredible and is very slick, looks incredible on black. I am going to try Ultima Waterless Wash Plus next week too.

I have no streaking issues with Pinnacle, however, due to the wax content, I do get ghosting right now as the temps are above 100 degrees. If not for that, I would't be trying UWW+

Fuuny, I went to a paint shop the other day to see about getting my trunk lid repainted, and they cringed because it's black. I quickly asked them how much it would cost to repaint the whole car silver :)

frankprozzoly
06-06-2014, 06:53 PM
Time for a new car

Evan.J
06-06-2014, 06:55 PM
I've never used express wash as a drying aid. I have used the the meguiars express spray wax as a drying aid on black and that works just fine. When you use a drying aid it's best to leave the panels wet. Is you are using the blaster before hand you are sort of defeating the purpose.

I don't believe that the rinesless wash is to be used as a drying aid. Some rinesless washes can be depending on which ones. I think this is where your problem is.

Did you wash the car while the paint was warm to the touch?

tiSS'er
06-06-2014, 06:55 PM
Time for a new car

I actually really enjoy working on my car, Hopefully I'll have it for 10 more years.

frankprozzoly
06-06-2014, 07:27 PM
Your right about the dryer. I was in the garage but I dryed it too much. I didn't have anything else so i used the express wash for lube. Like you said if I would've left the panels a little more wet, I think it would've worked

frankprozzoly
06-06-2014, 07:28 PM
I was just joking about the new car.

JKL1031
06-15-2014, 12:52 AM
I dont worry about streaks water spots until its show time. I use meguiars waterless after regular wash to get rid of anything left behind.

theblob640
06-15-2014, 12:59 AM
Another option, though little costly, would be to invest in a CR Spotless system. After wash and rinse, simply let it air dry.

MattPersman
06-15-2014, 06:30 AM
Try ONR wash, dry with a normal drying towel. My wife's car is black toyota and that is how I handle it, seems to be the best method I have come up with. You can do just one panel at a time if you like too.

HateSwirls
06-15-2014, 06:50 AM
On my black RAV4 I use my leaf blower to get most of the water off it leaving a little water on the car then mist each panel using Chemical Guys P-40 cut 50/50, then I do as you do, I wet a soft MF towel, wring out well and follow with a dry MF towel, no streaks.
Took me a longtime to figure out how to get a streak free finish.

LRC3
06-15-2014, 07:26 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of black..

Buy you some UWW+ spray it down a panel at a time while wet. I've gone from 2 washes a week to 2 washes a month.

About once a week I'll wipe my truck down with UWW+ with a damp MF, and she's brand new again. Keep in mind my truck is garaged, so it's 100 times easier.

swanicyouth
06-15-2014, 07:47 PM

The Master Blaster won't help with water spots if you are working outside and there is sun out (hot panels). I am assuming you are - as that is where you usually get water spots.

I can offer a few suggestions, as like you - I have a black car and wash it outside. First - buy some type of water spot remover. I use Duragloss, but CarPro seems to be in vogue. Second, the real trick is to keep the car wet and rinse it with DI water.

Your not wetting panels necessarily to "keep them wet" - your wetting panels to keep them cool. Try to keep that in mind. Also, concentrate on keeping the horizontal panels cool - as these will get hottest from the sun and pool water. Work fast - but not so fast you forget to keep the panels wet.

Lastly, you need to rinse well with DI water. This is key. After you rinse with DI water, assuming you did everything else right, it won't matter how you dry. In fact, this is when I let my car bake in the sun and clean my buckets and what not. Then, use the Master Blaster or a towel.

Another thing that helps is to wash your car at the crack of dawn before the sun is all the way up and really hot. If you live in the desert or something - I'm not sure if that helps much.

Clean your wheels first - but don't wet the rest of the car until you are ready to clean it. The water spot problem is caused by tap water baking dry on panels - so try to avoid this at all costs. Also, you can clean your windows first with glass cleaner if you have a lot of glass. This is one less thing you will have to do during the 2BM - making it even faster - so less time the car will have to sit with tap water on it.