PDA

View Full Version : Newbie and DG 105

gotgone
07-26-2007, 06:17 PM
I found this forum and Autopia several months ago. I have been lurking off and on since then. It was here that I found out about NXT. I have been told that I am obsessive compulsive or is it completely repulsive. Probably both. My sons say I am major anal. Not sure about that but my hat is made out of TP. My dad had a sevice station when I was growing up. One of my many jobs was carwashing. Once in a while a customer would want a wax job. I got all of the money from those. $10.00 a job. Tells you how long it has been. I have used just about every otc product introduced over the last 40+ years. Every info-mercial sent me to the parts store. When I was young Simoniz was the thing. Hated using it but pop said it was the best. Like I said I am anal about my cars. I have a Tundra (silver blue mist) and my wife has a Sienna (light silver). Wash twice a week. And wax once a month. Always Mothers or Megs carnuba lately. When I heard about NXT I just had to try it. Shined good but as others have said no durability. Worst thing was if you get it on the trim big stain. Thank god for the old pink erasers. Takes it off. Yhe other night I read several threads about Duragloss 105. Just had to try it. Went to NAPA and no luck. They said they couldn't even find it in their catalog. Called Carquesy. They also didn't have it but ordered it and I picked it up yesterday morning. I also got the Aqua Wax. when I got home, I called the company and talked to Jerry one of the brothers. he asked if I had gotten the 601, which I hadn't. I told him I was going to get a bottle before I used the 105. He said if I couldn't find it locally they would mail a bottle to me. Carquest had some at another store. So i picked it up also. Jerry had told me to expect changes in the finish overnight. I clayed the truck and van. I put two coats of NXT on the van on tuesday so I thought I would get a fair comparison of both. I put the 601 on the truck using a microfibre pad and a dime sized glob on each panel. The botle says not to wipe off the haze which I didn't. Mainly because the 601 basically disappeared into the paint. I waited about 25 min and put on the 105 with a foam applicator. Same amount per panel. I waited 55 min before removing. The shine was nice but I really couldn't tell much difference between 105 and NXT results. BTW I never heard of putting wax on in a back and forth direction. Rubbing and polishing compunds yes. Always have and always will wax the Miagi method. Anyhow. About 4 hrs later I went out to the garage and noticed a big differnce in the finish on the truck. Started looking much smoother. I was up till 3:00 this morning. Every hr or two Mr anal checked the finish. O;d tired eyes can be fooled but there was a definite improvement. This morning the finish looked great. I already knew I was going to put a 2nd coat of 105 on this evening. Jerry had asked me to call him with my opinion of the 105. He said I should put the AW on and watch it get better. I told him i wanted to put a 2nd coat of 105 on first. His reply was "if you really want a killer look put another coat of the 601 on first and then the 105. The 601 is on and in 5 min I am putting on the 105.
Sorry to be so wordy but just wanted to let you all know what is going on. I will post the results of coat #2 later.

A1monky
07-26-2007, 06:23 PM
Yea, DG has the only products that look better over a 12h period. I have never seen anything look better from the time when I apply it, and the time it has cured (12h). I have never used 105, but I use 101 and AW. The same phenemenon happens with those products also...
Welcome to AG!!!

Bags
07-27-2007, 02:19 AM
Keep us posted, I have used 105 before but not with the 601. I just got a bottle of the 601, and was thinking about starting all over with the 601/105. Jerry said to put another coat of the 601 and then another 105? Wouldnt mind seeing some pics if you can hook it up.

sparkie
07-27-2007, 04:50 AM
Wow bro, I can't wait for the pics... Sounds like you are doing everything right. Never heard of putting #601 after #105. I always used #101 then #105. Welcome to AGOL.....