PDA

View Full Version : Paint Cleaners

Pages : [1] 2

Sherif
06-06-2014, 05:38 AM
I'm currently looking for a paint cleaner but can't decide which one to buy!
My DD SUV is Opti-Coated and I maintain it by weekly wash with 2B or Rinse-less depending on how dirty it is and time available for wash.. The wash shampoos I use are optimum car wash, ONR and CG honeydew, they clean well but I still feel it needs deeper cleaning every 3 to 4 months (diluted APC, clay with nanoskin fine mitt if needed and finally use paint cleaner).. Maybe I'll top it with a sealant or wax after that, I know it's not required but one more layer of protection won't hurt and it's also fun to do and I already have the products (Sonax PNS, Reload, Rudolph paste wax, OCW & liquid Souveran).
No swirls/scratches on my SUV so far so do I need a non abrasive type of paint cleaner? Or the ones with micro fine abrasives will just do fine and won't hurt?!
Most of the products I found have fine abrasives, DG squeaky clean is non abrasive but not available on AG I think, pinnacle BL is overpriced IMO..
Some glaze products are said to have cleaning abilities like black hole and amigo..
I'm really confused and appreciate your feedback and recommendations on this.
Thanks

BobbyG
06-06-2014, 06:00 AM
I'm currently looking for a paint cleaner but can't decide which one to buy!

Most of the products I found have fine abrasives, DG squeaky clean is non abrasive but not available on AG I think, pinnacle BL is overpriced IMO..

DG = Duragloss?

Duragloss and Blackfire offer non abrasive products that should fit the bill nicely...

Sherif
06-06-2014, 06:08 AM
DG = Duragloss?

Duragloss and Blackfire offer non abrasive products that should fit the bill nicely...

Yes, Duragloss squeaky clean is available only with enviroshield coating kit but not sold separately!
From Blackfire, it's the Gloss Enhancing Polish I guess, it's non abrasive cleaner with glaze right?

Mike Phillips
06-06-2014, 06:12 AM
Non abrasive, light cleaning...

Detailer's Coating Prep Polish 16 oz. (http://www.autogeek.net/coating-prep-polish.html)

Used it for this old Honda...

Detailer’s Review: Detailer’s Paint Coating & Detailer’s Coating Prep Polish (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/67863-review-detailer-s-paint-coating-detailer-s-coating-prep-polish.html)

:xyxthumbs:

JHL88
06-06-2014, 06:13 AM
dp prep polish is a good cleanser. very watery though.

Lost Highway
06-06-2014, 06:28 AM
I would double check with Optimum Polymer Technologies but the last I heard they were recommending Optimum Poli-Seal applied with a gray or back foam pad (finishing pad, no cut). Poli-Seal is mildly abrasive but also seems to function as good chemical paint cleaner. I've seen impressive photos of DG Squeeky Clean results but haven't used it and there are no long term observations that I'm aware of. Barring convincing evidence to the contrary I tend to believe in following the manufacturer's recommendations
Every three or four months seems like overkill to me.

Paul A.
06-06-2014, 07:31 AM
I use both Duragloss 501 and Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish almost interchangeably and both are outstanding for just that purpose.

I will add that i am a "system" advocate i.e. using the same brand for a completely synergistic approach. If it's Opti Coated i would personally stick to what they suggest in the same family but, again, that's simply my opinion. I would guess you can't go wrong with anything recommeded here. Good luck and let us know what you do and how it works for you.

Sherif
06-07-2014, 12:54 AM
Non abrasive, light cleaning...

Detailer's Coating Prep Polish 16 oz. (http://www.autogeek.net/coating-prep-polish.html)

Used it for this old Honda...

Detailer’s Review: Detailer’s Paint Coating & Detailer’s Coating Prep Polish (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/67863-review-detailer-s-paint-coating-detailer-s-coating-prep-polish.html)

:xyxthumbs:

Thanks Mike, DP prep polish fits the bill :xyxthumbs:

dp prep polish is a good cleanser. very watery though.

Thanks JHL88!

From your experience with it, any disadvantages to being watery?
If applied by hand, what kind of applicator works better with it? I have MF and various foam applicators.

Sherif
06-07-2014, 12:58 AM
I would double check with Optimum Polymer Technologies but the last I heard they were recommending Optimum Poli-Seal applied with a gray or back foam pad (finishing pad, no cut). Poli-Seal is mildly abrasive but also seems to function as good chemical paint cleaner. I've seen impressive photos of DG Squeeky Clean results but haven't used it and there are no long term observations that I'm aware of. Barring convincing evidence to the contrary I tend to believe in following the manufacturer's recommendations
Every three or four months seems like overkill to me.

I use both Duragloss 501 and Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish almost interchangeably and both are outstanding for just that purpose.

I will add that i am a "system" advocate i.e. using the same brand for a completely synergistic approach. If it's Opti Coated i would personally stick to what they suggest in the same family but, again, that's simply my opinion. I would guess you can't go wrong with anything recommeded here. Good luck and let us know what you do and how it works for you.

Thanks guys for your advice, actually I searched first for a product from the same family (OPT) but didn't find what I'm looking for. Poli-Seal is an AIO with abrasives and protection while I want a non abrasive paint cleaner without additional glaze or polymers..

slantram
06-07-2014, 01:58 AM
Will Detailers Coating Prep Polish take out swirls and light scratches if used with a buffer and foam pads?

JHL88
06-07-2014, 04:15 AM
Thanks Mike, DP prep polish fits the bill :xyxthumbs:

Thanks JHL88!

From your experience with it, any disadvantages to being watery?
If applied by hand, what kind of applicator works better with it? I have MF and various foam applicators.

I just prefer a more thick lotion type polish, really no disadvantage to being watery. The typical yellow ufo foam applicator works great :xyxthumbs:

swanicyouth
06-07-2014, 04:33 AM
Instead of using paint cleaners on OC - I would just clay it if need be. A good fine claying should clean the the OC better than a paint cleaner - and remove any gunk that could be stuck to the paint that could cause marring/issues if attempted to polish off. I don't think you will get much additional dirt out of OC that has been clayed, especially if you are doing it every 3-4 mos like you mentioned.

Sherif
06-07-2014, 06:54 AM
Will Detailers Coating Prep Polish take out swirls and light scratches if used with a buffer and foam pads?
It's non abrasive so I guess it won't.

Sherif
06-07-2014, 06:59 AM
Instead of using paint cleaners on OC - I would just clay it if need be. A good fine claying should clean the the OC better than a paint cleaner - and remove any gunk that could be stuck to the paint that could cause marring/issues if attempted to polish off. I don't think you will get much additional dirt out of OC that has been clayed, especially if you are doing it every 3-4 mos like you mentioned.
So a fine grade Nanoskin mitt (with ONR as clay lube) would be safer than DP cleaner polish with a soft foam applicator?

swanicyouth
06-07-2014, 08:10 AM
So a fine grade Nanoskin mitt (with ONR as clay lube) would be safer than DP cleaner polish with a soft foam applicator?

I don't know about "safer", a lot of factors can affect that. Some have had bad luck with those Nano Skin mitts causing marring. But, I think claying done correctly should leave you with a silky smooth and clean OptiCoated surface.

If you wash your car and clay it regularly, I can't see a paint cleaner doing much on an OptiCoated surface. I say this because I have my wheels OC'ed on my 2 vehicles and nothing much seems to stick to them - and wheels get the worse of it.

Keep in mind you can also wash an OC'ed car with an aggressive shampoo regularly without affecting the coating. Throw in some IronX now and then and it's all good.