PDA

View Full Version : Stained seat belts

mills3
06-05-2014, 04:24 PM
What is the best way to clean really dirty and stained seat belts?

I've tried using a fabric and upholstery cleaner, but nothing seems to work.

I also don't have access to a steam cleaner so that's out.....

mills3
06-05-2014, 04:31 PM

This is what I'm talking about. This is my driver's side seat belt.

Quiksilver5882
06-05-2014, 05:05 PM
I'd try some Folex. It's pretty powerful stuff and can be purchased at Home Depot. Or you could try some All Purpose Cleaner. Or even some diluted LA Totally Awesome.

FUNX650
06-05-2014, 05:53 PM
Cleaners:
•P21S T.A.W. @ 5:1
•C-28 Seat Belt Cleaner and Spot Remover from PRO®.

•Throughly inspect belts for abrasions, cuts, tears, etc.
-Replace where necessary

•Cleaning seat belts requires much caution, and careful cleaning, in order to not compromise the belts' integrity.
-Do not use cleaning products that contain:
Bleach; strong detergents; dyes.

•After you get them clean, be sure to apply some 303 Fabric Protector.

Bob

Paul A.
06-05-2014, 11:02 PM
FUNX kinda nailed it for me. I treat mine with Folex and an occasional extractor treatment about once a year. Mine still look new as i keep ahead of them. Reading as you don't have an extractor, my Folex method is to put a clean towel behind them and spray Folex all over them then lightly work my soft bristle brush to agitate. Then i simply blot them dry. A fabric protectant is another good suggestion.

And i agree with FUNX with regard to insuring they remain the "safety" part of safety belts. Look for any wear and tear and don't get too aggressive with your cleaning. I want them to hold my strapped tuchus in if ever needed!

Good luck and any methods recommended here should have them looking great again!

mills3
06-06-2014, 01:46 PM
Thanks. I'll have to pick up some folex and see what happens.

CopperMtnGuy
06-06-2014, 04:38 PM
I've used dish soap and water before too with good results.

Romach
06-08-2014, 05:47 AM
If you have a steam cleaner and put brown wrapping paper behind it to draw out the stain if it is sweat or grease /oil based.

Other option is 303 airspace fabric cleaner and spray then let to sit on the belt for a while then scrub it with a firm tooth brush then wipe off and when dry add 303 protectorant

Both are available from autogeek