PDA

View Full Version : Polishing and OptiCoat, splitting into two days?

Alek@DeepClean
06-05-2014, 12:10 PM
Normally when I do this kind of work, I much prefer to start very early and end very late in order to get it all done in one day. But I just got a new customer who's schedule won't allow me to do this on his car.

So I'm asking yall, if you had to split this up into two days of work, whats the best way to do it? The second day would only be able to have 8-9 hours of work. I was thinking wash, clay, tape the trim the first day, and then the second day I could come back in and correct the paint, and apply OptiCoat immediately after. I feel like I could safely fit that into 8 hours.

Anyone else have any suggestions? Or even just thoughts about the matter. Like I said, I normally would prefer to work a long day and get it all in at once rather than try and split it up into two so this is new to me.

KneeDragr
06-05-2014, 12:17 PM
My suggestion is compound or at least compound half the car on the first day. Otherwise that 2nd day is going to be long to compound, polish, surface prep and then apply coating.

Zelfiris
06-05-2014, 12:18 PM
I would do the same. If the paint is bad and requires compound first (2 step correction) then I do all the prep + compound on day 1 then I do final polish + opti-coat on day 2 so I won't rush applying opti-coat

RevitalizeAutoSpa
06-05-2014, 12:45 PM
I would do the same. If the paint is bad and requires compound first (2 step correction) then I do all the prep + compound on day 1 then I do final polish + opti-coat on day 2 so I won't rush applying opti-coat

Agreed - remember you're going to need time to do another wash or IPA\Eraser wipe down after the polish too (especially if you're using oilier products like Menzerna).

Sherif
06-05-2014, 12:54 PM
Agreed - remember you're going to need time to do another wash or IPA\Eraser wipe down after the polish too (especially if you're using oilier products like Menzerna).

Or use optimum polishes to skip the IPA wipe down step

HUMP DIESEL
06-05-2014, 01:39 PM
I do this most of the time I work on one, and I can tell you to do as much as you can on day one so that day two is spent doing final prep work. This also depends on the condition of the paint. If it is light swirling and scratches, then it will take less time to get it back to correct. If on the other hand you have to compound the vehicle to get the scratches out before you can polish to a brilliant shine, then that is obviously going to take more time. The last one I did was split among multiple days, but the major time was on compounding. I actually polished most the vehicle out in about two hours once I got it all leveled down with the compounding step. Another three hours yesterday for final wash, Eraser wipe down and then Opti Coat.

HUMP