PDA

View Full Version : Hello from VA

Aawa
06-04-2014, 06:31 PM
Just wanted to get the obligatory introduction post out of the way.

In January I bought a 2011 Mirabeau Blue Hyundai Genesis Coupe. I decided that I wanted to keep this car looking good, unlike my previous car, a 2006 Scion Tc.

Car before I got into it to take it home from the dealership.
http://i.imgur.com/40Uq0ZH.jpg

My 2 old jobs I was driving more than between 20K-30K miles a year and pretty much living in my car. With that came the no time to wash the car, eating in my car and the numerous dropped french fries, fast food bags, soda bottles all over my car. Once I got my current job, I only had a 6 mile commute to work, I decided to take care of the interior and exterior of the car. It was really beat up but it got a weekly wash, and I kept the inside vacuumed and trash free.

With my new to me car, I decided to take more pride in it and decided to keep it washed and waxed, and interior as prestine as possible. Since I have owned it, I have been reading and watching videos on the basics of detailing (mainly because I wanted to do a paint correction and didn't want to pay a detailer $400-$600 when I could do it) While I was doing research i bought some chemical guys black light, v7, maxi sudds, and a microfiber wash mitt, microfiber towels, grit guards and a couple of buckets. Since my car is kept outside 24/7 I have kept up a wash regiment and address bird poop and tree sap almost immediately.

After reading and watching lots of videos and reviews I ended up deciding on the following to get me going on a low budget.

Harbor Freight Dual Action Polisher
Chemical Guys Hex Tech foam pads (2X orange,2X white, and 2x black)
Meguiars M105
Meguiars M205
Meguiars #21 Synthetic Sealant
Collinite Wax 845
Nanoskin Medium Wash Mitt
Gilmore Foamaster II
5" Hook and Loop Backing Plate
16oz Garry Dean Infinite Use Detail Juice Concentrate

I am looking forward to getting some time behind the polisher once my gear comes in and trying to see how much I can correct the bird drop etching, scratches where the badges were, and the swirls. I figure the pain time wise will be the initial paint correction (i might split it up between several days or 2 weekends) However after that it will be maintenance which should be a lot less time consuming.

With the regiment I have been going through with keeping my car up right now, I have been able to turn some heads. I can't wait to see how people look at my car when I can get it really shined up nice and pretty! Plus this gives me something to do while I have my smokers going on in the backyard cooking some up bbq.

Car after I washed it last friday.
http://i.imgur.com/wse6odW.jpg

BobbyG
06-04-2014, 06:34 PM
:welcome: To Autogeek Online!! :props:

Very nice first post man!!

dad07
06-04-2014, 06:40 PM
:welcome:

jamesboyy
06-04-2014, 07:27 PM
Welcome to autogeek

spiralout462
06-04-2014, 11:10 PM
Welcome to AGO from the Eastern Shore of VA! Nice introduction!

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
06-04-2014, 11:18 PM
Welcome to AGO!

Heck of an intro post!

mcochris
06-04-2014, 11:39 PM
Good looking ride!

refreshauto
06-04-2014, 11:43 PM
welcome to AGO

Aawa
06-05-2014, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the kind welcome to AGO.

GS2011
06-05-2014, 09:20 AM
:welcome:

Ncs0816
06-05-2014, 02:50 PM
Nova here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aawa
06-08-2014, 07:08 PM
Thanks again for the kind welcome. Just completed my first paint correction on my car. Took 16+ hours over the course of 2 days!

Hard work but well worth it. I posted the pictures in the Shine and Show subforums.