PDA

View Full Version : Newbie looking for first DA Polisher.

Pages : [1] 2

Badlilstang
06-04-2014, 10:23 AM
I have learned a lot so far about proper car wash and drying technique. Been introduced to a ton of great products. Recently got into using clay bars and I feel that getting a DA polisher is the next step. I was thinking of hte Porter Cable 7424XP but have also had the Griots Garage unit recommended. Trying to stay around $150 or less for the unit. Thank you for any advise!!!

David Hayward
06-04-2014, 10:25 AM
I have no experience with the PC but I started with the griot's garage model and I love it. I think it was similarly priced also. I have no regrets with mine. And maybe someone can chime in but isn't the griots a little more powerful?

cleanmycorolla
06-04-2014, 10:26 AM
If your budget is 150 then the Griots is your best bet.

06-04-2014, 10:28 AM
If your budget is 150 then the Griots is your best bet.

:iagree: Plus you get a lifetime warranty!

jamesboyy
06-04-2014, 10:33 AM
Another vote for groits garage polisher great customer service with enough power to get you started into the machine polishing phase

Badlilstang
06-04-2014, 10:45 AM
Just to confirm.. this is hte model I should get...??

Griot's Garage 6 inch Random Orbital Polisher, Dual action buffer, DA polisher (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-random-orbital-polisher.html?productid=griots-random-orbital-polisher&channelid=FROOG&utm_source=CSEs&utm_medium=GoogleProductSearch&utm_campaign=CSE&gclid=CIiH0ZnA4L4CFXMA7AodjiIAWQ)

06-04-2014, 10:57 AM
Just to confirm.. this is hte model I should get...??

Griot's Garage 6 inch Random Orbital Polisher, Dual action buffer, DA polisher (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-random-orbital-polisher.html?productid=griots-random-orbital-polisher&channelid=FROOG&utm_source=CSEs&utm_medium=GoogleProductSearch&utm_campaign=CSE&gclid=CIiH0ZnA4L4CFXMA7AodjiIAWQ)

That's the one, I'm assuming you don't have any pads?

Jaretr1
06-04-2014, 11:23 AM
I have the PC7424XP and have no issues with it. AG sells more PC's than any other DA polisher but gets fewer returns on the PC than other brands from what I was once told.

Mike Phillips
06-04-2014, 11:48 AM
If it were me...

I'd get a Porter Cable 7424XP with a 5" backing plate and 5.5" Lake Country Flat Pads.

You can fix dang near anything under the sun with the above and quality compounds and polishes. And of course good technique. And you rarely ever see someone anywhere post that their PC broke.

I've been using the PC since it was introduced to the paint polishing world from the wood sanding world, even have an article on this topic.

Good tool.

The Free Floating Spindle Bearing Assembly - The Story Behind The Story... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23995-free-rotating-spindle-assembly-story-behind-story.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/794/portercableSANDER.jpg

:)

sn0w
06-04-2014, 12:05 PM
If it were me - I'd get the HF DA - same manufacturer as the GG and 1/3 the price. Grab a coupon from slick deals and you are on your way. Which equals more money for products!

You'll also need a new 5" backing plate as the one it comes with is not that great and some foam pads of different levels.. ie cut/polish/wax

Zelfiris
06-04-2014, 12:07 PM
:iagree: Plus you get a lifetime warranty!

another vote from me :)

Badlilstang
06-04-2014, 12:13 PM
If it were me - I'd get the HF DA - same manufacturer as the GG and 1/3 the price. Grab a coupon from slick deals and you are on your way. Which equals more money for products!

You'll also need a new 5" backing plate as the one it comes with is not that great and some foam pads of different levels.. ie cut/polish/wax

Got a link to this one?

trekkeruss
06-04-2014, 12:45 PM
Got a link to this one?

Google Harbor Freight. I'm sure it works fine, and may even come from the same manufacturer in China, but it is not the same model as the Griots. It is cheap though; with a coupon that you can also find online, you can get it for $55 + $7 shipping.

Lints
06-04-2014, 01:00 PM
I'd go with the PC... Actually I just did.

As a new guy to this whole world, I was very impressed with the PC. I looked at the HF in store, and ended up getting the PC. It is very well built, feels very sturdy in your hands, and that helps to inspire confidence.
This rings true with many things in life.. get the right tool for the job, and do it right the first time.

sn0w
06-04-2014, 01:05 PM
It may be cheap but its stronger than the PC and with a few mods to it kicks some major butt for its price point.

Only DA I'd get over it is a Rupes.

Be sure to pick up the added warranty if it's a crappy one or breaks. They will replace no questions asked.

PC only gives I think a 1 year.. GG's lifetime warranty is nice which is why you pay more than the HF DA.

Be sure to mark your backing plate and pick up Mike Phillips books on correction tips.