PDA

View Full Version : Why does paint bead so much after polishing

Pages : [1] 2

HUMP DIESEL
06-04-2014, 08:53 AM
Alright, someone let me know is it because of the polishing oils or the slick finish?

HUMP

Setec Astronomy
06-04-2014, 09:07 AM
Combination?

cleanmycorolla
06-04-2014, 09:07 AM
healthy paint beads naturally

DetailKitty
06-04-2014, 09:10 AM
Anyone correct me if I'm wrong:

My understanding is the wax or newly polished surface has less or no imperfections in the paint, and reduces friction for anything on the surface, meaning that water has less to grab onto. So surface tension makes it rather spherical (think raindrops) and it slides down easier. Also, the molecules of the wax are larger than those of the water, meaning that the water cannot pass through the barrier created and keeps it's "drop" shape.

FUNX650
06-04-2014, 09:33 AM
Among other factors:
•Cohesive forces among liquid molecules
•Interaction between dissimilar liquids.
•Thermodynamics

Note:
The aforementioned cohesive forces are the cause of surface tension.
Surface tension is responsible for the shape of liquid droplets.

Bob

hernandez.art13
06-04-2014, 09:51 AM
I would like to say polishing oils.

A car that has freshly polished paint will probably bead water probably due to the oils left behind.

That is why when you do IPA wipedowns, the goal is to remove anything off the paint including polishing oils. So what ever your trying to apply to the paint as in LSP. (We'll say a coating in this case.) Can bond properly with nothing left behind in the paint.

Run water from the hose after doing polishing only and then run water after doing IPA wipedowns and you will see almost zero sheeting if done correctly.

GenesisCoupe
06-04-2014, 09:53 AM
I am going to say polishing oils make it bead, but i doubt that lasts since its not really any protection factor...

At times I will use Poorboy's Polish with Sealant, that is a nice light polish for a perfect one step. That beads for a little while. Win win...

Paul A.
06-04-2014, 09:58 AM
Isn't clean paint naturally hydrophobic? I always thought so but readily admit i don't fully understand the science of it. Paint chemicals? Polymers or things naturally used in paint? Plus, as some have said, any left over oils or chemicals left from the polish?

hernandez.art13
06-04-2014, 10:11 AM
I like to think of paint as spongy. Where it can absorb a number of different things.

So that is why we add LSP. As a layer of protection. Waxes, sealants, coatings etc...

So let me try and explain my hypothesis.

Imagine a sandwich just sitting there on the table. (Just regular white bread) Well if anything lands on the bread, it will get absorbed. We'll say kool aid in this instance. So it now got absorbed.

Well if we wrap it in a seran wrap, now you have a layer of protection between the bread and its surrounding by the piece of seran wrap.

So applying sealants, waxes coatings is like the seran wrap in this case.

That's just a hypothesis that has popped into my head over time, from always thinking about detailing. :D

Side Note Question: those of you that live out there where it snows, you guys every morning wake up and don't let the snow melt on the car? Why?

DetailKitty
06-04-2014, 10:13 AM
Side Note Question: those of you that live out there where it snows, you guys every morning wake up and don't let the snow melt on the car? Why?

I'm assuming you are being serious Bro?

It's because if you did... you'd be out of work for a week waiting for it to melt :laughing:

hernandez.art13
06-04-2014, 10:24 AM
I'm assuming you are being serious Bro?

It's because if you did... you'd be out of work for a week waiting for it to melt :laughing:

Hahaha it was actually a serious question since I am a SoCal guy.

We'll my aunt who is a US Marine had bought a car and and took it to NC . Well she said every morning while it was snowing her neighbors would wake up and go take off the snow off their cars.

She said it in a way to as why and it was weird...

We'll she didn't and now the car has CC failure all around. So that is where I came up with the paint is like a sponge theory.

Since the CC failure wasn't like anything I had seen before. It didn't necessarily look like it was dried and old.

It looked like the CC bubbled up. Like a blister...

When I head out to PA. I am taking extra socks. Lol I have a feeling that I might not like the weather out there.

I bought a new camera off Amazon! Should be here tomorrow!

cleanmycorolla
06-04-2014, 10:24 AM

Air temperature, ground temp, ice won't melt if it's freezing out, and even if it's a tick above, it can take hours for it to melt, days depending on how much. Pretty basic stuff.

hernandez.art13
06-04-2014, 10:29 AM
^ I am starting to think also, but can't prove it since it never snows here. That if one lets the snow melt on the car and the car has no LSP on the paint. Overtime it will absorb the water from the snow.

Guess not pretty basic stuff. :)

DetailKitty
06-04-2014, 10:38 AM
When I head out to PA. I am taking extra socks. Lol I have a feeling that I might not like the weather out there.

Depends when you are out... if it's September it will most likely still be hot as hell and just as humid... no socks needed.

hernandez.art13
06-04-2014, 10:42 AM
Ok Sounds good. I just won't pack socks Lol