PDA

View Full Version : Maintenace Program

Pages : [1] 2

kdubski
06-03-2014, 08:18 PM
Hey Autogeek,

I'm a college student taking my business to the next level and introducing a maintenance program. Currently, I charge $160 for a full detail on a sedan, and $200 with a one step polish on rotary (takes about an hour), my third package/price point is paint correction which is $35/hour on top of my base package.

I recently acquired my friends father as a client who is interested in monthly details for his 2014 Porsche, as well as a friend who has a brand new Subaru BRZ. What I offered them was a biweekly refresh and a monthly wax at $120/month. They agree to the service.

Conflict:
I am a college student who would prefer to keep this under the table in order to maintain financial aid. Also, how would I go about billing/payment because I'm not sure I would see either at the time of detail. Would mailing invoices be a safe method of payment collection or should I keep this clean and cash up front? Also, both of these prospects have extensive networks of wealthy friends and family with beautiful cars. I'm not expecting anything from detailing their cars but I want to be prepared when a stranger asks me specifics.

So how would I bill/collect payement's, and should I make some sort of written agreement. Goal here is to keep operation under the table.

All feedback is appreciated!!Feed back please

VP Mark
06-03-2014, 09:48 PM
I understand your reasons but cannot give you advice on how to operate an illegal business. Report your income at the end of the year and pay the small amount of taxes.

Get a square reader and accept credit/debit cards or just have them send you a check once a month.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AG Online

C.A.D
06-04-2014, 02:54 PM
Hey Autogeek,

I'm a college student taking my business to the next level and introducing a maintenance program. Currently, I charge $160 for a full detail on a sedan, and $200 with a one step polish on rotary (takes about an hour), my third package/price point is paint correction which is $35/hour on top of my base package.

I recently acquired my friends father as a client who is interested in monthly details for his 2014 Porsche, as well as a friend who has a brand new Subaru BRZ. What I offered them was a biweekly refresh and a monthly wax at $120/month. They agree to the service.

Conflict:
I am a college student who would prefer to keep this under the table in order to maintain financial aid. Also, how would I go about billing/payment because I'm not sure I would see either at the time of detail. Would mailing invoices be a safe method of payment collection or should I keep this clean and cash up front? Also, both of these prospects have extensive networks of wealthy friends and family with beautiful cars. I'm not expecting anything from detailing their cars but I want to be prepared when a stranger asks me specifics.

So how would I bill/collect payement's, and should I make some sort of written agreement. Goal here is to keep operation under the table.

All feedback is appreciated!!Feed back please

I'm in the same boat as you, being a college student and trying to build the business up at the same time. Definitely get a square credit card reader, I use it all the time for my maintenance packages and it goes right to my bank account that I linked to square.

The choices I give my customers for payments on the maintenance programs are cash up front, credit card up front for the whole month, or a check. Don't get into mailing invoices, that can get into a very sticky situation if someone doesn't give you the money.

I haven't had any problem with the clients in the choices I give them. Most leave cash in the mailbox or in the car when it's time for their maintenance.

Any other questions since we are very similar in our business ventures, feel free to email me at carlsautodetail@yahoo.com

Carl's Auto Detail-Long Island Auto Detail (http://www.carlsautodetail.com)
Long Island Mobile Detailing

thebamboo23
06-04-2014, 03:37 PM
you could simply ask for cash... people with money usually keep several hundred dollar bills in there wallet

definitely get a Square card reader

but i doubt you'll be flagged for anything... there's sites where you can check how much you're able to make without reporting it

swanicyouth
06-04-2014, 03:52 PM
Anyone have any tips how I can steal from the IRS?

Cosmin
06-04-2014, 05:50 PM

google may help, you may need a day/night off and some tools :xyxthumbs:

Cosmin
06-04-2014, 05:55 PM
and pay the small amount of taxes.

tell me you are joking .....
he will have an 5k in taxes for an poor 10k income as self employed , is that a small tax to you??
it counts double the tax , plus in some states state tax..
uncle sam dosn`t care if you are student or you run a small operation.
i think the limit is $600 , everything over should be reported on your income.

dcjredline
06-04-2014, 06:27 PM
You don't pay 1/2 your income in taxes! Lol. I had a Mobile Electronics business for about 4 years out of my house/garage here in NY and never paid anywhere near 1/2 my income!

Sent from my XT1030 using AG Online

Rmd
06-04-2014, 07:15 PM
There's no such thing as a 50% tax bracket. If the services you described are your only income, you won't have much liability at all, even with the self employment tax.
You are right to focus on whether or not this amount of income affects your student loan eligibility. Check with financial aid office for that.

Eric@CherryOnTop
06-04-2014, 07:35 PM

Easy, get elected to Congress.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VP Mark
06-04-2014, 09:54 PM
tell me you are joking .....
he will have an 5k in taxes for an poor 10k income as self employed , is that a small tax to you??
it counts double the tax , plus in some states state tax..
uncle sam dosn`t care if you are student or you run a small operation.
i think the limit is $600 , everything over should be reported on your income.

Your overall tax rate is relative to your income level. It is not a flat tax system. For a student as the OP said for instance if he made 10,000 total for the year I doubt he would owe more than $500.

People making 25 grand a year do not pay the same rate as people making 100,000. Not to mention deductions that are different in every state and for every person.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AG Online

OnsiteDetailing
06-04-2014, 09:54 PM
Keep it legal with the IRS and don't take the risk. Check with your college financial aid office to determine how much you can make before it affects your financial aid. You will not be paying 50% of your income in taxes! Make sure that you keep track of ALL of your expenses for supplies, equipment, mileage to an from jobs, etc. because these are tax deductible expenses for your business.

jsgntulok
06-04-2014, 10:56 PM
Keep it legal with the IRS and don't take the risk. Check with your college financial aid office to determine how much you can make before it affects your financial aid. You will not be paying 50% of your income in taxes! Make sure that you keep track of ALL of your expenses for supplies, equipment, mileage to an from jobs, etc. because these are tax deductible expenses for your business.
"College Student," this is the best advice so far relating to your question. You have already drawn attention to yourself by posting questions about your planned tax evasion on this public forum. I know of at least two IRS agents who are members of this forum. You are seeking to evade not just federal income taxes but also state income taxes, self-employment taxes(Social Security/Medicare) and probably state and local sales taxes. Run your business legitimately and you won't have to constantly "look over your shoulder." My final suggestion to you is to take a class in ethics while in college.

dedlewamp
06-05-2014, 09:09 PM
How on earth do you do a complete one step polish on a vehicle in one hour?

vigilantejosh
06-05-2014, 09:16 PM
How on earth do you do a complete one step polish on a vehicle in one hour?

With many holograms..

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk