PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Black Corvette Paint Correction

rckcmp
06-03-2014, 04:08 PM
I am going to polish my fathers 2005 black vette for Father's Day. I was wondering if anyone has experience with this paint and what products would be best. It is moderately swirled but it isn't a DD and is garage kept and covered and in pretty decent shape for an '05. Thanks guys!

FUNX650
06-03-2014, 04:32 PM
C6 Corvette CC-paint is usually on the rather "hard" side.

What products do you currently have available...so we can go from there:
With consideration for the obligatory "Test Spot" in mind.

Bob

Just02896
06-03-2014, 04:57 PM
Bob is spot on about Vettes having hard paint. I've been using Meg's MF pads and Meg's MF correction compound on hard clear with great results. They have also been saving me quite a bit of cutting time over foam pads. :-)

rckcmp
06-03-2014, 07:58 PM
I have a little of the Wolfgang twins left over from doing my car. I was thinking Meg's 105 on orange pad followed by 205 on gray and sealed with blackfire wet diamond using a blue or red pad.

FUNX650
06-03-2014, 08:07 PM
I have a little of the Wolfgang twins left over from doing my car. I was thinking Meg's 105 on orange pad followed by 205 on gray and sealed with blackfire wet diamond using a blue or red pad.
Those should do the trick...:xyxthumbs:

{Don't forget the "Test Spot", though}

Bob

spiralout462
06-03-2014, 08:52 PM

Do you like applying sealants and waxes with a machine? BFWD is so easy to spread thin I enjoy doing it by hand. Of course if you just want to use those red and blue pads then have at it. It should look great! :xyxthumbs::Picture:

rckcmp
06-03-2014, 09:22 PM
I actually might try spreading it by hand this time. Is BFWD ok to use on wheels or should I use a separate sealant?

Evan.J
06-03-2014, 09:29 PM
I actually might try spreading it by hand this time. Is BFWD ok to use on wheels or should I use a separate sealant?

Yep you can use Blackfire Wet Diamond on the wheels as they are clear coated just like the the body of the car.

rckcmp
06-04-2014, 07:11 AM
What about on machine finished alum. wheels?

Jmarra
06-04-2014, 08:30 AM
I have an 05 black Vette that it's also a garage queen. The paint (cc) is very hard so do a test spot. I used XMT #3 with orange pads, #2 with white pads, and XMT finishing glaze with blue pads. Topped with Pinnacle Royal Sovereign paste. A lot of time but well worth it. Results are almost flawless and the depth of the gloss is incredible. If the wheels are stock they are clear coated and they will never shine like machine polished aluminum.
Best of luck, post some pix when you're done.

Raynor139
06-04-2014, 09:22 AM
I have an 05 black Vette that it's also a garage queen. The paint (cc) is very hard so do a test spot. I used XMT #3 with orange pads, #2 with white pads, and XMT finishing glaze with blue pads. Topped with Pinnacle Royal Sovereign paste. A lot of time but well worth it. Results are almost flawless and the depth of the gloss is incredible. If the wheels are stock they are clear coated and they will never shine like machine polished aluminum.
Best of luck, post some pix when you're done.

Just did my trans am using a pretty similar process as this and it has GMs hard CC on it just like corvettes. Had to move up to a yellow pad twice where there was some areas that had been hit by shopping carts or something else.