PDA

View Full Version : Issue & Wheel Weight Adhesive

RobertJ34
06-03-2014, 10:02 AM
Hey guys,

I would love to get some opinions, thoughts or recommendations on a few things, and who better to go to then the trust AG forum members, right?

Well, my car is under warranty so I go to the dealership to get my oil changes, last time around they rotated and balanced tires. Well, they scratched the inside of my Matte wheels right on the inside of the wheel, and unfortunately its a horrendous site for me as I am sure most of you can understand, and left a crap load of the adhesive on..

1) I spoke with the GM and will be going in next week for him to look at ( I already sent him pic) and see if there wheel refinisher can do anything..any recommendations on anything here? Not sure if anyone has ever had this issue?

2) anyway to remove the adhesive safely from MATTE black wheels?

Thanks guys!

parttimer
06-03-2014, 11:02 AM
I believe others have spoken of goo gone for this issue. I feel your pain as when I replaced my tires last year I was left with that gift as well. I plan on pulling the wheels to do a full cleaning. Goo gone was on my list as was kerosene.

Angus
06-03-2014, 11:39 AM
Sorry man! It sounds like you've already taken the best first step - addressing the issue with the GM. Same thing happened to me a year ago - went in for a new tire, rotation, re-balancing and ended up with 3 rims damaged from sloppy shop work. The GM took care of it and had the rims re-finished to new.

As for your follow-up question, removing wheel weight adhesive - what have you tried so far? Adhesive can be a funny thing to remove - not all products work the same from adhesive to adhesive. 3M Adhesive Remover gets a lot of praise and can usually can be found at your local auto shop. Bug/Tar remover, Goo-Gone, and Mineral Spirits are other options you may already own and could try. Also look on Amazon for plastic razor blades - they can really help and IMO are safer on delicate surfaces.

In a few days I'm going try removing left over wheel weight adhesive w/ 3M + plastic razor blade from a recent new tire install. Depending on results, a review may follow!

Good luck!

RobertJ34
06-03-2014, 11:53 AM
I haven't tried anything so far, wanted to get some opinions first. Ill try the 3M Adhesive Remover, try it on small area first since just worried about the Matte finish.

yeah, I hope the wheel refinisher can take care of it, or even if I have to take it to someone else, I hope they take care of the $. We will see, due to meet him next wed AM.

By re-finish, is it as simple as sand down, level and paint? If so, I would assume they would have to re-balance again?