PDA

View Full Version : New Guy, got a question.

Pages : [1] 2

chrisbothwell
07-25-2007, 09:56 PM
I just bought the PC-7424, it is on its way right now, apparently the holy grail of the detailing world. Can I use the same paste wax that I use to do it by hand? Thanks.

Rsurfer
07-25-2007, 09:59 PM
I just bought the PC-7424, it is on its way right now, apparently the holy grail of the detailing world. Can I use the same paste wax that I use to do it by hand? Thanks.
Yes, what kind of wax do you have?

chrisbothwell
07-26-2007, 11:19 AM
Nice car. While I have a garage full of different products I am currently using the standard Meguires cleaner (paste and liquid) and the 'Tech wax' for a finishing coat.

07ImpalaSS
07-30-2007, 01:51 PM
Welcome to the forums.

ltoman
07-30-2007, 02:03 PM
Welcome!
Time to upgrade the wax on your nice car! Pinnacle Signature Series 2, anyone?

Gary Sword
07-30-2007, 02:22 PM
I always apply paste wax by hand. I only use a PC or Rotary to polish. I would agree with Itoman (Vette Princess Lauren) about trying some Pinnacle Signiture Series. It would look great on your Silver 350Z. I don't think you would ever go back to Meguires.

ltoman
07-30-2007, 02:46 PM
I always apply paste wax by hand. I only use a PC or Rotary to polish. I would agree with Itoman (Vette Princess Lauren) about trying some Pinnacle Signiture Series. It would look great on your Silver 350Z. I don't think you would ever go back to Meguires.

I agree with Gary - I even wax our beaters by hand, but to each his own.
You gotta try the SIg Series2!:)
LT

Jimmie
07-30-2007, 03:08 PM
Another with wowo by hand and also with Lauren; Gary on a different wax. Think that a change in wax will save you some frustration. The cleaner waxes can stain trim where the ones suggested won't, and they can be layered where a cleaner wax will take-off previous layers.

Rsurfer
07-30-2007, 03:11 PM
:iagree: with Gary, wax by hand. I take it that you got the pc to polish and do some correction on your paint. Did you order any polishing compound and if so, what kind.

ltoman
07-30-2007, 03:59 PM
Another with wowo by hand and also with Lauren; Gary on a different wax. Think that a change in wax will save you some frustration. The cleaner waxes can stain trim where the ones suggested won't, and they can be layered where a cleaner wax will take-off previous layers.

Oh yah Jimmie - I agreed with Gary - I said Sig Series 2 once I saw the car.

chrisbothwell
07-30-2007, 04:57 PM
Ok...I have a few new questions. I am up for trying new products, but I am confused about how to use them.

Let me understand; you apply wax by hand and polish using the PC? What exactly does this mean? I had planned on using the PC to apply the cleaner wax and the tech way, is this wrong? I am new to the detailing world and I want to get it right.

I am starting on my wife's 02 VW that does not need any corrective work, but sits outside in Seattle (needs a good cleaning). Thanks.

ltoman
07-30-2007, 05:12 PM
Well, generally the pc does the polishing. You may want to go over the car with a light polish to pick up dirt, oxidation, rain etching, fine swirls - like pb ssr1 or xmt 1. In the case of a car with a lot of damage, you might start with #3 for or 2 for polishing and work your way down.

I would suggest looking at the videos on pc usage - they were a huge help to me when I began.

Then you wax. You can use the pc, but most of us, I dare say - others correct me if I am wrong - do not use it for wax. We wax by hand, which always comes after polishing. You can use a cleaner wax instead, but I do not know how well those would work in comparison.

I guess it depends on the state of the car, the results you want, the time you are willing to spend, and the money you are willing to invest in product.

Does that help any?

chrisbothwell
07-30-2007, 05:28 PM
Thanks, that does help. I will polish with the products that you mentioned. Am I stupid to do clay before I polish? Is that all that you use the PC for is to polish?

ltoman
07-30-2007, 05:38 PM
Thanks, that does help. I will polish with the products that you mentioned. Am I stupid to do clay before I polish? Is that all that you use the PC for is to polish?

No, clay it first, then polish, then wax - definitely!! :righton:
That will pull contaminents out of the paint the polishing won't be able to do, and it will make it smooth to the touch.
Unless it is really new - and even my new vette had some dirt when clayed - all cars need that step, IMHO.

Glad I could help a bit.:)

ltoman
07-30-2007, 05:39 PM
Yah, pc is a polisher - but you could apply wax, glazes or sealants with it too - it is a personal preference.
Make sure you have pads.
Oh if you use glaze, that is after polishing, before wax. it is not necessaary. Just helps fill in little light swirls. Totally optional. You can use the pc there too, IF you so desired.