PDA

View Full Version : Layering on top of wax/sealants

driverone
06-02-2014, 10:10 PM
Whats the consensus on layering waxes and sealants on top of each other?

And what was the outcome of measuring paint thickness after layering? I read a few thread some time back but never followed up on the issue, but it seemed like layering anything other than 100% pure waxes was a waste of time since the solvents in aio/hybrid products would strip the underlying later.

And now theres more durable nanotech sealants (cquartz/opticoat etc) where the manufacturers state that topping is not recommended except for some of their own spray on products iirc.

Common sense tells me that the most durable product goes at the bottom since the wax might slough off first and take the more durable sealant layer with it.

Prophizee
06-02-2014, 10:13 PM
I do it all the time... normally I put a sealant as the base then let it cure over night then put a top coat of wax... I like the look of wax better then a sealant

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AG Online

Kamakaz1961
06-02-2014, 10:27 PM
I do it all the time... normally I put a sealant as the base then let it cure over night then put a top coat of wax... I like the look of wax better then a sealant

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AG Online

100% Agree!! I put on a sealant and then a high end quality wax. Right now my wax preference is CG Celeste Detaglio. I just ordered Pinnacle Sourvegn and that will be my next wax. As for the sealant I use Menzerna's Power lock sealant.

As for the thickness....my guess negligible with both coatings.

:iagree:

driverone
06-03-2014, 03:40 AM
These are the 2 old threads where some measuring was done on several products:
Thickness of wax layers? - Page 5 - Detailing World (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=127943&page=5)
Wax and Sealant thicknesses - Detailing World (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=130901&highlight=thickness)

It looked like Collinite 915 (which is a pure wax) could take roughly 2 coats before a third coat would not take on (for reasons still unknown). Opti-seal could not layer. The experiment was done on silicon wafers which is not the same as clearcoat but each additional layer of wax/sealant would be resting on the previous coat of wax/sealant.

I also came across some old posts stating that FK made the 1000p suitable for layering.

Desertnate
06-03-2014, 08:24 AM
I never go beyond two layers. I just don't see the point as the products I typically use (Klasse SG or 845) are very durable and I've never seen any measurable improvement in appearance.

With two layers I'm confident that I've covered the vehicle completely and have the protection to carry me through the harshest conditions for months.

FUNX650
06-03-2014, 08:38 AM
A Wax/Sealant film-layer is only a couple, or so, molecules "thick". Molecules being the definitive word.

I would think that in order for Waxes/Sealants to actually
(factually) layer---I prefer to call it stacking---a few "molecular-bonding-things" must be taken into consideration...even necessary to be overcome! (molecular-bonding-things such as: van der Waals, covalent, hydrogen, etc.)

"Layering/Stacking", on the other hand, would seem to have to occur by: π-π (pi–pi) interactions, noncovalent bonding, etc.

But outside of the auspices of the:
"nano-scale Chemistry World"...
Can, or do, these π-π (pi–pi) interactions actually exist?

Bob