PDA

View Full Version : Will a Cheap Polisher Like this work for stains and shining/Cleaning?

the45master
06-02-2014, 07:26 PM
So I know there's lots of discussion like this out there, but wanted to get all the answers collectively specifically for my question rather than related ones.

Anyways, I have a 2 year old pearl white car, 6,000 miles, it doesn’t have any scratches, but theres small stains here and there, like berries, or dirt, baked into it a bit, that just don’t come out no matter how much I scrub them. Was wanting to get rid of them and make it shine a bit more. Basically clean it really good.

So I was thinking a basic polisher with a basic soft pad might get them out? Just soap and water with a polisher and run it over them for 20-30 seconds?

Will a cheap one like this work: Black & Decker WP900 6-Inch Random Orbit Waxer/Polisher - Power Polishing Tools

Also, I heard they are difficult to use and are like an art, you can damage your car, is that really true? I thought if I just used the most basic softest pad I can get, it would be fine to just turn it on, let it spin, and move it across the car where ever I want, no? Would that really damage it or leave marks? I was just thinking soap or water. That’s all. Not looking to spend a lot on a polisher. So besides trying other soaps and stuff, (Im beyond that), will this idea work?

Thanks

Setec Astronomy
06-02-2014, 07:34 PM
No.

You can't polish with soap and water (well, I guess you can do anything you want, but it won't work). That polisher has no power and will be unlikely to achieve what you want it to (granted, we don't really know what you want, but those pesky spots are likely etched into the paint).

Unfortunately, improving your car's finish usually requires work, money, or both. There is no quick fix, really. If you want to improve the look without spending too much money, go to Wal-Mart and get some Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, some microfiber or terry applicators, and polish the vehicle by hand, changing to a fresh applicator side when it gets dirty. Buff that off with some microfiber towels from Wal-Mart (not the cheapo ones, the more expensive ones), and your car will likely look a lot better.

the45master
06-02-2014, 07:37 PM
Okay, darn, thats what I was wondering basically, to use it instead of my arm scrubbing back and forth with pressure, I thought this could act as the rag, but doing the work so much faster, spinning 3K a minute, I was thinking at that speed and frequency it would get the stains off.

What about regular dirt and stuff, would it act well as a replacement for my hand and brush?

No.

You can't polish with soap and water (well, I guess you can do anything you want, but it won't work). That polisher has no power and will be unlikely to achieve what you want it to (granted, we don't really know what you want, but those pesky spots are likely etched into the paint).

Unfortunately, improving your car's finish usually requires work, money, or both. There is no quick fix, really. If you want to improve the look without spending too much money, go to Wal-Mart and get some Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, some microfiber or terry applicators, and polish the vehicle by hand, changing to a fresh applicator side when it gets dirty. Buff that off with some microfiber towels from Wal-Mart (not the cheapo ones, the more expensive ones), and your car will likely look a lot better.

kevincwelch
06-02-2014, 07:38 PM
I have no experience with that specific polisher. It looks like it might be fine for applying a wax or a sealant, but that's all.

However, being raised by frugal parents and frugal aunts and uncles, I would typically go for the less expensive option hoping that it was sufficient. When it comes to major appliances, I usually have been disappointed with the less expensive options and ended up buying the more expensive ones that I knew were what I should have purchased in the first place. So, I've ended up paying more in the end. Not very economical.

The GG, for example, will give you up to 6800 OPM, which makes the 4400 OPM of this B&D look weak. This really can affect your correcting ability. The PC will get you that much as well. Polishers like the Flex and Rupes will get up to 9600 OPM.

If price really is a sticking point for you, look into the Harbor Freight DA polisher .If you think you want to take care of your car(s) long term, I'd invest in a PC or GG if it's just yourself.

the45master
06-02-2014, 07:44 PM
So if I did throw down $180 for a polisher, would it then have enough power to be pushed against dirt and stains, to essentially act as brush for cleaning the car? Even if it doesnt remove the baked stains, would it act as a good "Manual brush" replacement so that I dont have to scrub by hand, just push the polisher around?

Ive never used one, so I dont really know the power or capability of these things

I have no experience with that specific polisher. It looks like it might be fine for applying a wax or a sealant, but that's all.

However, being raised by frugal parents and frugal aunts and uncles, I would typically go for the less expensive option hoping that it was sufficient. When it comes to major appliances, I usually have been disappointed with the less expensive options and ended up buying the more expensive ones that I knew were what I should have purchased in the first place. So, I've ended up paying more in the end. Not very economical.

The GG, for example, will give you up to 6800 OPM, which makes the 4400 OPM of this B&D look weak. This really can affect your correcting ability. The PC will get you that much as well. Polishers like the Flex and Rupes will get up to 9600 OPM.

If price really is a sticking point for you, look into the Harbor Freight DA polisher. If you think you want to take care of your car(s) long term, I'd invest in a PC or GG if it's just yourself.

Setec Astronomy
06-02-2014, 07:48 PM
You're skipping over some cleaning basics. It sounds like your car has been neglected. If you are interested in maintaining your car differently going forward, then we can walk you through what we would call "decontamination" steps to remove what's attached to your paint in a somewhat methodical manner.

If you are just looking for a one-time cleanup, why don't you pony up the $15 or so and go through a tunnel wash, those big brushes or chamois should give it the scrubbing you're looking for.

the45master
06-02-2014, 09:00 PM
No, not at all. It hasnt been. Im just trying to get info about the polishers. If the polishers can act as a scrubber for the car or not

You're skipping over some cleaning basics. It sounds like your car has been neglected. If you are interested in maintaining your car differently going forward, then we can walk you through what we would call "decontamination" steps to remove what's attached to your paint in a somewhat methodical manner.

If you are just looking for a one-time cleanup, why don't you pony up the $15 or so and go through a tunnel wash, those big brushes or chamois should give it the scrubbing you're looking for.

Setec Astronomy
06-02-2014, 09:04 PM
No, not at all. It hasnt been. Im just trying to get info about the polishers. If the polishers can act as a scrubber for the car or not

It's hard to answer that question the way you have it framed. That polisher won't help you achieve your goal. Polishing is done AFTER numerous cleaning steps, not as part of the "scrubbing".

Matt-erhorn
06-02-2014, 09:44 PM
I think what your asking is will the polisher replace you having to use a wash mitt or brush during the wash. And if that's the case then no it won't serve that purpose. You still need to wash the car with 2 buckets and quality wash media. Then clay the car and use a dual action polisher with either a polish or a compound if needed. Finally you will need to top it off with some sort of wax or sealant.

spiralout462
06-02-2014, 10:07 PM

No. It will probably make your paint look worse.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/questions-about-porter-cable-7424xp-7424-7336-griot-s-meguiar-s-dual-action-polishers/38399-da-polisher-articles-help-newbies-machine-polishing.html

the45master
06-02-2014, 10:20 PM
Okay yeah, than that answers that. Basically that what I mean, is using it as a replacement for hand washing/scrubbing. Like a powerful one. So I guess not. Well thanks guys!

trekkeruss
06-02-2014, 10:27 PM
Without seeing your car, it's possible that using an all-in-one cleaner wax will remove the stains in the paint. Most people just call it waxing, but most of the over-the-counter products you see at your local stores and auto supply shops are AIO cleaner waxes...they have chemical cleaners in them to remove stains and blemishes, mild polishes to make the paint smooth and shin, and wax to protect the finish. You can apply these products by hand, using a foam wax applicator, or with a machine. I'd recommend trying it by hand first; you have nothing to lose. AG carries these AIO cleaner waxes too: all in one polish, car polish wax, cleaner wax, best car wax polish, Klasse All In One, one step polish wax, AIO wax, AIO paint sealant (http://www.autogeek.net/all-in-one-cleaner-wax.html)