PDA

View Full Version : Best brand of aerosol can touch-up paint?

SirFerret
06-02-2014, 09:39 AM
Hey all,

I am in the process of repainting my peeling plastic center caps. I originally tried the Duplicolor system, but I am not that impressed with it. The primer is pretty good, but the actual base coat paint is terrible. The color is a really good match, but the application is terrible. No matter how clean the nozzle is, or how careful you spray, it splatters and leaves a terrible finish. I have not tried the clear coat, as my pieces are ruined and will need to be repainted with proper paint before that step.

What other good brands of aerosol paint match cans are their? I was going try paint from www.automotivetouchup.com (automotivetouchup.com). Any info of this or anything good Autogeek sells?

The color is Sebring Silver Metallic NH552M if you are curious.

Lakeside Detail
06-02-2014, 10:12 AM
If you go to a painter supply house, or body shop supplies, they can usually mix you a pint of color match paint and make a aerosol can for you. Then if you need more paint they can refill the can for you. The aerosol cans they use are very good quality, with a fine mist sprayer. Its the next best thing compared to a professional spray gun. I just went this route doing some rust repair on my detail van, and had very good results. Plain paint is going to be cheaper, metallic more expensive. They charged me $26 for a pint of PPG paint and a aerosol can filled, color was plain white cargo van. They should also sell good quality high build primer.

As far as clear coating with a aerosol can. Sometimes it works, sometimes it wrinkles. I will not do aerosol clear again. If I had to I would buy professional clearcoat and use a airbrush.

The Guz
06-02-2014, 10:25 AM
Hey all,

I am in the process of repainting my peeling plastic center caps. I originally tried the Duplicolor system, but I am not that impressed with it. The primer is pretty good, but the actual base coat paint is terrible. The color is a really good match, but the application is terrible. No matter how clean the nozzle is, or how careful you spray, it splatters and leaves a terrible finish. I have not tried the clear coat, as my pieces are ruined and will need to be repainted with proper paint before that step.

What other good brands of aerosol paint match cans are their? I was going try paint from www.automotivetouchup.com (http://automotivetouchup.com). Any info of this or anything good Autogeek sells?

The color is Sebring Silver Metallic NH552M if you are curious.

The paint you posted in this link is very good. I see many people on the car forums I belong to use when they paint items.

SirFerret
06-02-2014, 12:47 PM
Ah glad to hear that website is a good bet. I read some good things about it on various forums I visit, but figured I would ask my fellow Autogeekers, because we all strive for that perfect finish. :xyxthumbs:

Also I wish I could find an auto body supplies shop around here, but every search just brings up normal body shops. There has to be one around here somewhere, because there is a body shop on every street!

Probably because most DC area drivers are horrible... :laughing:

SirFerret
06-02-2014, 05:18 PM
Haha look like I am not going to be buying any paint.

I found brand new ones on ebay for 13 bucks a piece, so 55 bucks shipped, which cost the same as getting the paints.

Once I return the 30 dollars of cruddy Duplicolor, its gonna cost me like 20 bucks out of pocket!

Still might order this paint, as I still need to repaint some other plastic pieces on my car.

Thanks for all the info!