PDA

View Full Version : Wolfgang 3.0

raswank
06-02-2014, 09:21 AM
Okay this is my first time really using any swirl removers and glazes. I just did the hood of my Jetta it is red. Used the orange pad to apply the 3.0 Swirl remover, then the blue pad to apply the finishing glaze. All looks good, applied one coat of wax until I get my blackfire sealant in. Here is the question all this was done first thing this morning in the shade, and like I said it looked great. Now I go out and take a drive and park the car in the sun. All the swirls are still there. So first what setting should I have the PC 7424 at to apply both? And I guess maybe I did not use enough downward pressure. Do you apply a good amount of pressure when you do it?

cleanmycorolla
06-02-2014, 09:39 AM
Did you do a test spot before doing all of this? Also, it's not really a glaze. It's a fine polish. Try a white or black pad perhaps. Blue might be too soft.

Either way do test spots, that way you'll avoid doing an entire panel and having to redo it. :)

raswank
06-02-2014, 10:00 AM
I just did the trunk after watching the video on here and did everything they said, still have swirls. So either I need a different pad color or I don't know what.

dpk20x
06-02-2014, 10:23 AM
Try orange pad with the total swirl remover again. Use more pressure and a slower arm speed this time around. If that doesn't work you're gonna need to try a more aggressive compound.

mwoolfso
06-02-2014, 10:24 AM
My $0.02....

1. Illustrate the detailing process used prior to the polishing step.
2. What size and type of pads are you using?
3. Jetta's and VW's in general usually have extremely hard paint. If you are sure they are swirls then help me understand if they are "new" swirls or previously identified (old) swirls.

For WGTSR, you will need speed 5-6 and for the WGFG you would be in the 3-4 area.

Just some background - I have a 2012 VW CC. With Megs 105, a Flex 3401 with an orange pad, and a very very significant amount of downward pressure this combination did absolutely nothing. Only when I used Menzerna products was I able to make any "dent" and eliminate swirls.

Wolfgang is made by Menzerna so you should have some success in my mind.

raswank
06-02-2014, 11:32 AM
Porter Cable 7424 HD machine. 6.5 inch orange pad for the 3.0 swirl blue pad for the 3.0 glaze. Car is almost 2 years old. Never tried to remove the swirls before so I would say all old swirls. So I guess I will try it again very slowly and with some good pressure. Thanks

dpk20x
06-02-2014, 12:00 PM
Yeah and get yourself some 5.5 inch pads too

Paulyfe12
06-02-2014, 12:19 PM
Use the cross hatch pattern making 5 to 6 passes. Use a sllloooowwwwwww arm speed and medium to light pressure.

raswank
06-02-2014, 01:23 PM
Thanks are 5.5 inch pads better to work with? Also since the hood has the been done, can I just redo it with this slow method? Or should I wait? Which color pads should I get to have on hand?

mwoolfso
06-02-2014, 01:29 PM
I would wait until you get 5.5" pads. 6.5" pads are tough for your DA to maintain the necessary speed. Also, what I found with my VW is that Lake Country HydroTech pads (hybrid or non-hybrid) are better than the CCS pads I have.

So....

- 5.5" pads
- DA speed setting to 6
- slow arm speed (~ 2 inches per second travelling time) with medium pressure (let the machine and product/pad work)
- multiple section passes in cross-hatched pattern

raswank
06-02-2014, 01:38 PM
Cool I just tried finding those type and only found regular Lake Country 5.5. Do you have a link to them? Found them thanks, ordering now