PDA

View Full Version : What camera do you suggest?

Ecoshine
06-01-2014, 10:59 PM
I want to post better pictures to my Facebook account for my business. What camera would you suggest for detailing? I prefer a camera that is easy to load pictures to Facebook (possibly without plugging it into the computer) and it offered at a reasonable price ($100-200).

trekkeruss
06-01-2014, 11:47 PM
Better pictures are not made by cameras, but by photographers. Put another way, you can give someone a Flex polisher, but without the knowledge of how to use it correctly, that someone won't get a better polish (indeed, they could make things worse!)

Cameras are recording devices. They record light. A more expensive camera has a bigger sensor and possibly a higher quality lens, but if you point two cameras at a subject, they will both record the same image. If the light is good, you'll get "good" images, and if the light is bad, you'll get a bad image.

So what camera to buy? It doesn't really matter. Learning the basics of photography is what will allow you to take better photos, not buying a "better" camera

SoonerGM
06-02-2014, 01:14 AM
i agree with a lot of what trekkerus stated above, however, not all cameras are created equal.

for $100-$200 you are shopping in the "point and click" segment. i have used a few cameras in this price range at work over the past 4 years. i will tell you that i will never buy a panasonic lumix with my own money. they tend to have a very hard time under poor lighting conditions, which i have to deal with most of the time. i don't care for the button placement. heck, i don't even like how they index the photos on a memory card.

the company i work for has also used canons. i never had an issue with any model. in general i tend to favor canons.

you may find better/more specific information on a camera or technology enthusiast site.

StangFan25
06-02-2014, 02:06 AM
Since you arent printing, or need larger file sized images, and are just wanting to post to Facebook, relatively speaking, you'll be ok with just about anything.

I started out with a Panasonic Lumix point and shoot years ago before getting serious and becoming a wedding photographer. It was a great learning camera and did what i needed. Since you won't be shooting indoors and in low light, the above posters comment is irrelevant. Besides, most point and shoots suck in that environment anyway due to the small sensor.

Not wanting to plug the camera into the computer is fine, you can just remove the SD/CF card from the camera and put that into your computer/laptop, assuming it has a built in card reader (most modern ones do).

For your needs, you don't need to break the bank. I'd suggest looking into Panasonic offerings, read reviews, look at sample images, then go to BB and mess around with it.

Good luck!

yakky
06-02-2014, 06:15 AM
For $100-200 you could pick up a nice used Olympus Pen or Panasonic Micro 4/3 camera. If you watch the sales you could even end up with an E-PM2 for that budget. They are great cameras that are small enough to not be a burden but the IQ in good light is completely on par with a larger DSLRs. The lens selection is great and there is a ton of great community support.

FUNX650
06-02-2014, 07:53 AM
Since you list Toledo, Ohio as your location...
You could go to one of the Dodd's Cameras stores nearest to you, for a hands-on experience---IMO the best way to make the best choice for your intended purposes.

I'll also suggest:
Go to their website for directions to their stores;
and to check out their latest sales items.

Bob

Ecoshine
06-02-2014, 11:50 AM
Better pictures are not made by cameras, but by photographers. Put another way, you can give someone a Flex polisher, but without the knowledge of how to use it correctly, that someone won't get a better polish (indeed, they could make things worse!)

Cameras are recording devices. They record light. A more expensive camera has a bigger sensor and possibly a higher quality lens, but if you point two cameras at a subject, they will both record the same image. If the light is good, you'll get "good" images, and if the light is bad, you'll get a bad image.

So what camera to buy? It doesn't really matter. Learning the basics of photography is what will allow you to take better photos, not buying a "better" camera

Anything is better than an Iphone5 right now, so a "better" camera is necessary. I'm using this for my website for Before and After. I was simply asking for a suggestion on a camera, not advice on taking pictures. I know how to use my Rupes correctly that's why I need a better camera to attract the clients who want the paint correction service. Would be nice for interiors as well, which is most of my jobs in Northwest Ohio.

Ecoshine
06-02-2014, 11:52 AM
i agree with a lot of what trekkerus stated above, however, not all cameras are created equal.

for $100-$200 you are shopping in the "point and click" segment. i have used a few cameras in this price range at work over the past 4 years. i will tell you that i will never buy a panasonic lumix with my own money. they tend to have a very hard time under poor lighting conditions, which i have to deal with most of the time. i don't care for the button placement. heck, i don't even like how they index the photos on a memory card.

the company i work for has also used canons. i never had an issue with any model. in general i tend to favor canons.

you may find better/more specific information on a camera or technology enthusiast site.

Thanks for the input, I check some sites out!:xyxthumbs:

Ecoshine
06-02-2014, 11:55 AM

Since you arent printing, or need larger file sized images, and are just wanting to post to Facebook, relatively speaking, you'll be ok with just about anything.

I started out with a Panasonic Lumix point and shoot years ago before getting serious and becoming a wedding photographer. It was a great learning camera and did what i needed. Since you won't be shooting indoors and in low light, the above posters comment is irrelevant. Besides, most point and shoots suck in that environment anyway due to the small sensor.

Not wanting to plug the camera into the computer is fine, you can just remove the SD/CF card from the camera and put that into your computer/laptop, assuming it has a built in card reader (most modern ones do).

For your needs, you don't need to break the bank. I'd suggest looking into Panasonic offerings, read reviews, look at sample images, then go to BB and mess around with it.

Good luck!

Thanks! I check out some Panasonics at Best Buy. I just hired my wedding photographer....$1700 later lol. I'm sure it will be well worth it, only happens once!:props:

Ecoshine
06-02-2014, 11:57 AM
Since you list Toledo, Ohio as your location...
You could go to one of the Dodd's Cameras stores nearest to you, for a hands-on experience---IMO the best way to make the best choice for your intended purposes.

I'll also suggest:
Go to their website for directions to their stores;
and to check out their latest sales items.

Bob

Thank you, I will give them a call today and stop in before Best Buy. I'm sure it will be better coming from someone who actually has used it before.

Ecoshine
06-02-2014, 11:58 AM
For $100-200 you could pick up a nice used Olympus Pen or Panasonic Micro 4/3 camera. If you watch the sales you could even end up with an E-PM2 for that budget. They are great cameras that are small enough to not be a burden but the IQ in good light is completely on par with a larger DSLRs. The lens selection is great and there is a ton of great community support.

I'll check them out when I stop at these store today. Thanks a lot!

Daviddear30
06-02-2014, 12:03 PM
I found a good deal on a nice used camera at a local pawn shop. $80 with card, 18x zoom" 14 megapixel etc.

It takes way better pics than my old camera and I only push the button. I'll disagree about cameras all acting the same. Pushing the button isn't a skill I developed. However skill can take those pics to the next level as I see my photography friends demonstrate all the time. There pics make mine look novice :-).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AG Online

trekkeruss
06-02-2014, 12:25 PM
Anything is better than an Iphone5 right now, so a "better" camera is necessary. I'm using this for my website for Before and After.

See here: Can the iPhone 5 camera replace your point-and-shoot? - Evocative ? Photography and Design (http://www.evocative.cc/can-the-iphone-5-camera-replace-your-point-and-shoot/)

If you're truly wanting better quality, do not buy a typical compact camera. Avoid anything with a 1/2.3" sensor; those will not do any better than an iPhone. Outdoors, the camera doesn't matter, but if you will be shooting in the garage, or of interiors, you'll want as big a sensor as possible. A wide aperture lens would also be helpful, but that would put you over budget. Your best bet would be the aforementioned Olympus PEN cameras, such as this one:

Olympus PEN Mini E-PM1 Micro Digital Camera & 14-42mm II Lens (Black) - Factory Demo includes Full 1 Year Warranty (http://www.cameta.com/Olympus-PEN-Mini-E-PM1-Micro-Digital-Camera-14-42mm-II-Lens-Black-Factory-Demo-65958.cfm)

If you can budget $50 more, I'd go with this Sony A3000. I uses the same sensor size as a DSLR:

Sony 20.1MP Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera (http://electronics.woot.com/offers/sony-20-1mp-interchangeable-lens-digital-camera-2?ref=cnt_wp_3_3)

Ecoshine
06-02-2014, 05:28 PM
Thank you for the suggested models I will add them to the list. :props: