PDA

View Full Version : I just washed all my Detailing Towels with Fabric Softner

JPW
06-01-2014, 08:15 PM
I just messed up. I have a number of high-end micro fiber towels and cotton towels. I wanted to get a "clean slate" with all of them so I went to wash them. I've never used fabric softner on them before because of concerns around swirl marks or losing the absorption in the MF towels. Well, I wasn't paying attention and what I thought was detergent was actually fabric softner and I put a rather large amount in the load. Because I thought it was detergent it was the only thing I put in the load.

What should I do now? Should I just scrap them and buy new all new towels to be safe or should I maybe wash them a few times with only water to try and rinse them free and then come back with detergent and vinegar? I could care less about absorption, but I don't want to risk the chance of causing any swirl marks or light scratches.

Belair
06-01-2014, 08:23 PM
[QUOTE=JPW;1111683]...should I maybe wash them a few times with only water to try and rinse them free and then come back with detergent and vinegar?... /QUOTE]

I'd do that, & keep the cotton separate from the MF. But if you want to eliminate all doubt then replace them with new & chalk it up to experience; you WILL be more attentive next time, guaranteed.

Setec Astronomy
06-01-2014, 08:27 PM
Just wash them with a bunch of detergent and see how they come out. I don't see how softener is going to make them scratch your paint. You may have affected the absorbency, but you didn't ruin the towels.

conman1395
06-01-2014, 08:41 PM
Presoak in an APC, then wash with detergent and vinegar.

dad07
06-01-2014, 08:41 PM
Just wash them with a bunch of detergent and see how they come out. I don't see how softener is going to make them scratch your paint. You may have affected the absorbency, but you didn't ruin the towels.

:iagree: Just rewash the towels with vinegar in the final rinse.......they will be just fine.

JPW
06-01-2014, 09:51 PM
Thanks everyone. I'll do just that.

Vengenz
06-01-2014, 10:14 PM
I have a bunch of microfiber/chenille wash mitts.

I usually just toss them in the washing machine with regular detergent and now fabric softener. Is this fine?

SoonerGM
06-02-2014, 12:50 AM
I have a bunch of microfiber/chenille wash mitts.

I usually just toss them in the washing machine with regular detergent and now fabric softener. Is this fine?

the fabric softener will coat your microfibers, or any fabric, with oils that will repel liquid. so basically that fabric softener will reduce the absorbency of your mitts and towels, and that is not what you want.

you want your microfibers to be able to soak up your washing solutions so that they are nicely lubricated.

also according to this article, fabric softener will interfere with the static charge of microfibers, which is what helps with dirt collection.

Microfiber Care Guide, Clean Cobra Microfiber Towels, Applicators & Tools with Pinnacle Micro Rejuvenator Microfiber Detergent. Clean & dry microfiber (http://www.autogeek.net/mi101.html)

Vengenz
06-02-2014, 08:54 AM
Woops I fat fingered, meant to say NOT, instead of now lol. Thanks for the info.

the fabric softener will coat your microfibers, or any fabric, with oils that will repel liquid. so basically that fabric softener will reduce the absorbency of your mitts and towels, and that is not what you want.

you want your microfibers to be able to soak up your washing solutions so that they are nicely lubricated.

also according to this article, fabric softener will interfere with the static charge of microfibers, which is what helps with dirt collection.

Microfiber Care Guide, Clean Cobra Microfiber Towels, Applicators & Tools with Pinnacle Micro Rejuvenator Microfiber Detergent. Clean & dry microfiber (http://www.autogeek.net/mi101.html)