PDA

View Full Version : Please forgive me If covered. Wax safe for plastic

Cleanfreeek
06-01-2014, 02:58 PM
Hello folks!

I am looking at a good quality wax (preferably synthetic) that is safe for black plastic. I received my 2014 Santa Fe on Friday and wondering about waxes.

The whole bottom is black plastic. Bumpers, wheel wells and bottom of the doors. I have mothers synthetic wax but leaves white on plastic. I googled it but didn't come up with anything high end. I'm not interested in turtle wax liquid stuff. Or cleaner waxes.

Thanks folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theblob640
06-01-2014, 03:03 PM
Out of the waxes I have used, Megs D156 is the only spray wax the doesnt stain trim. On top of that, it is a very good product.

mwoolfso
06-01-2014, 03:17 PM
You just need to be sure that whatever wax you use has no cleaners in them. Mother's Synthetic Liquid would have cleaners in them so you were actually using a cleaner/wax (albeit synthetic).

Optimum Spray Wax has UV protection, comes in spray form, and would work well with plastic. They may even have a plastic coating at this point. Speaking of plastic coating.... Detailers Pro has a coating you may want to look into as well.

Collinite 915 and 845 come to mind as two very good wax products that will work on plastic. What I have found is that 845 on one type of car plastic will not yield the same durability on another vehicle's plastic - so you will need to experiment.

Cleanfreeek
06-01-2014, 04:56 PM
Awesome! Now I have a couple brands to research :)

Matt-erhorn
06-01-2014, 05:16 PM
Meguiar's Ultimate LIQUID Was wont stain. The paste version may though as they say that the ingredients that make it a paste might stain plastic.

mwoolfso
06-02-2014, 06:22 AM
Awesome! Now I have a couple brands to research :)

Personally, I would pick a product that has UV protection as that is about the only thing that will keep your plastic from fading.

Cleanfreeek
06-02-2014, 06:27 AM
Sorry folks. I am not looking to wax the plastic. Just plastic safe wax for the paint. I actually like the collinite 845. Good reviews :)

goldenlight
06-02-2014, 07:00 AM
I 2nd ultimate liquid very safe

FUNX650
06-02-2014, 08:07 AM
Sorry folks. I am not looking to wax the plastic. Just plastic safe wax for the paint.
OK...But:
What product(s) are you planning to use on the vehicle's plastic?

Bob

Cleanfreeek
06-02-2014, 08:51 AM
I was thinking black wow for trim

hogie
06-02-2014, 09:16 AM
I have actually been using Ultimate spray wax on my Tributes trim. It seams to look and hold up far better than Megiuars Ultimate Protectant.

I second the Ulimate Liquid wax as well. It lasts a long time and doesn't stain at all.

FUNX650
06-02-2014, 09:17 AM
I was thinking black wow for trim

Thanks for your follow-up reply.

Bob