PDA

View Full Version : Seems I have wet sanded through my CC with 2000grit

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Thejoyofdriving
07-25-2007, 07:34 PM
I wasnt trying to remove a scratch, i was just taking off some extra touchup pait around the scratch, at first i thought it was more extra paint so I sanded some more, but it wouldnt go away. Know im thinking i sanded down past my CC. here is a pic:

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa20/thejoyofdrivings_pics/DSC00831.jpg

It should not be to hard to fix, im just going to touch it up and shoot more clear.

sneek
07-25-2007, 08:47 PM
umm, I don't think it is that easy

HighEndDetail
07-25-2007, 09:11 PM
umm, I don't think it is that easy

http://www.peachstateposse.com/forum/images/smiles/WhatHeSaid.gif

Fixing it will be harder then you think.
Back away from the sandpaper, it is not your friend:D

pt91
07-25-2007, 09:19 PM
If you are through the CC take it to a good body shop and have the area resprayed. It shouldn't cost a fortune.
How long did you sand and was the paper/block well lubricated?

FMINUS
07-25-2007, 10:33 PM
:(

ltoman
07-25-2007, 11:20 PM
Trust Ed with High End Detail - he knows his stuff.

Thejoyofdriving
07-25-2007, 11:35 PM
I sprayed water on there every few seconds as i was working, i dont see how it happend because i was only sanding enough to take the touch up paint off the CC. I have some paint i got from the dealer and some CC so i think it will be okay, at this point i do not believe that i need to get it done at a body shop, but as a last resort i will. I just have to figure out why this happened. I didnt use any thing stronger than 2000 the whole time. I put a bit of touch uo paint in the area and i am going to sand it down abit to get it smooth.
now ive been thinking, do i have to polish the scratches out before i shoot the clear? I was thinking that if i just shoot on some clear with out polishing out the marks that the CC it will fill in all of the marks and hide them. thoughts?

Strokin04
07-26-2007, 12:17 AM
I am glad Zoranc told me to put down the water before reading this one, but I am ROFLMAO. I really think you need to go to a body shop and get some scrap panels to practice on and stay away from your cars.

Thejoyofdriving
07-26-2007, 12:20 AM
I am glad Zoranc told me to put down the water before reading this one, but I am ROFLMAO. I really think you need to go to a body shop and get some scrap panels to practice on and stay away from your cars.why do you laugh at my misfortune?

sneek
07-26-2007, 12:23 AM
http://autopia.org/forum/images/smilies/wall.gif
Trust me, it isn't that easy to make it look good and last. Doing research before wetsanding might have been good. :P let us know how it goes.

Craig
07-26-2007, 12:24 AM
Don't polish it before you clear it, the clear can't bond. I don't know what your touch up kit states, but I don't see how any paint or clear can bond to 2000 grit finish. The clear I use (PPG) states 400-500 grit finish to get bonding to the OEM clear. Not saying you are wrong, I just never seen clear coat or base coat stick to that smooth of a finish.

Surfer
07-26-2007, 12:27 AM
Take it to a body shop, they most likely are going to have to wetsand it down, repaint, and re-clear.....you can't just slap on touch up paint and clear on, some can on small spots but they have the skill for that. Polishing is not going to do anything but take more paint through the primer since some of those marks look deep. Can't just re-clear over that, it won't fill them in, it'll lock in the marks and make them stick out like hell. But that pic is hard to tell how big/small it is.

Put the sandpaper down.....and back away :D

Strokin04
07-26-2007, 12:27 AM
why do you laugh at my misfortune?

Because you don't listen to the advice that people give you and do what you want thinking you know everything. So the end result of such behavior is what has me LMAO because until you one day when you realize you don't know everything this stuff will keep happening.:D

ZoranC
07-26-2007, 12:31 AM
why do you laugh at my misfortune?
I don't think he is laughing at your misfortune. I think he is laughing at fact that outcome was so predictable any bookie would refuse to accept a bet on it.

ZoranC
07-26-2007, 12:33 AM
Put the sandpaper down.....and back away :D
May I add "and the polisher too"?