PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol/water ratio?

scooterguitar
06-11-2006, 10:21 AM
Goign to use the paint cleaner in a little bit, what ratio do I sue of alcohol/water in spray bottle to clean the fininsh to prep for sealant? Or can I just use straight alcohol on a mf cloth and wipe off?

BILL
06-11-2006, 10:25 AM
Goign to use the paint cleaner in a little bit, what ratio do I sue of alcohol/water in spray bottle to clean the fininsh to prep for sealant? Or can I just use straight alcohol on a mf cloth and wipe off?

I read some where that some use it full strength ,and then others not sure of the mix, maybe 70/30/ Water N Iso...............

ScottB
06-11-2006, 11:17 AM
70/30 or stronger .... never needed full strength and water will help will some lubrication to glide towel over the finish.

JeffW
06-11-2006, 11:21 AM
I do ~50%/50% to 75%/25% alcohol/water when doing a wipe down. Careful not to get on trim as I believe it might dry it out.

Sometimes, though, I use a stronger mix and spray on the car after washing while there is still some droplets on the car, then immediately hose spray off and rewash.

scooterguitar
06-11-2006, 04:49 PM
I just did about 50/50, maybe 60/40, seemed to work. I also used the 91% alcohol if that makes a difference. Hmm, does this mean I created my first forumual to put in a srpay bottle!

BILL
06-11-2006, 05:04 PM
I just did about 50/50, maybe 60/40, seemed to work. I also used the 91% alcohol if that makes a difference. Hmm, does this mean I created my first forumual to put in a srpay bottle!

:righton:

SnipeJDM
06-11-2006, 06:20 PM
Can you guys explain why you use the alcohol solution? Is this something to use prior to sealant application only? I'm guessing, it helps it stick.

With that in mind, you wouldn't glaze before applying a sealant would you? Would that defeat the purpose of the glaze if you had to wipe it down w/ alcohol? Sorry for the newb questions.

BlackCoupe
06-11-2006, 06:24 PM
70/30 or stronger .... never needed full strength and water will help will some lubrication to glide towel over the finish.

I have heard these ratios used before, but I have not followed them exactly. I get 70% IP. Doesn't this mean that it has already been cut with 30% water?

Mr. Science

BILL
06-11-2006, 06:31 PM
Can you guys explain why you use the alcohol solution? Is this something to use prior to sealant application only? I'm guessing, it helps it stick.

With that in mind, you wouldn't glaze before applying a sealant would you? Would that defeat the purpose of the glaze if you had to wipe it down w/ alcohol? Sorry for the newb questions.

Its a pure paint cleaner of wax and grease etc.......good for prior anything wax, glaze, or sealer.....The ISO treatment would come BEFORE any application of glaze, right after clay........and before anything else:)

ScottB
06-11-2006, 06:48 PM
I have heard these ratios used before, but I have not followed them exactly. I get 70% IP. Doesn't this mean that it has already been cut with 30% water?

Mr. Science

I dont not know and since I did not have a empty bottle to check, a little googling:

Rubbing alcohol is a liquid prepared for topical application to skin usually consisting of isopropyl alcohol with water or with a small admixture of methyl alcohol. Some mixtures use ethyl alcohol in part or whole substitution for iso-propanol.

Rubbing alcohol is poisonous and can cause permanent disabling illness or death if consumed. Rubbing alcohol evaporates quickly and is used to cool and soothe skin. It is also used to sterilize surfaces or, when mixed with only water, clean minor cuts or abrasions. Other mixtures should be used with great caution near cuts or abrasions. It is also occasionally used to harden skin such as in the case of the feet of novice hikers. Care should always be taken, and label of the preparation read carefully.
So yes it appears that it might be diluted, but with what appears to differ based on brand and use. All I can offer is that using the 91% product (around 78 cents at Walmart) and 30% water "on average" works fine for me personally.

BILL
06-11-2006, 06:50 PM
I dont not know and since I did not have a empty bottle to check, a little googling:

Rubbing alcohol is a liquid prepared for topical application to skin usually consisting of isopropyl alcohol with water or with a small admixture of methyl alcohol. Some mixtures use ethyl alcohol in part or whole substitution for iso-propanol.

Rubbing alcohol is poisonous and can cause permanent disabling illness or death if consumed. Rubbing alcohol evaporates quickly and is used to cool and soothe skin. It is also used to sterilize surfaces or, when mixed with only water, clean minor cuts or abrasions. Other mixtures should be used with great caution near cuts or abrasions. It is also occasionally used to harden skin such as in the case of the feet of novice hikers. Care should always be taken, and label of the preparation read carefully.
So yes it appears that it might be diluted, but with what appears to differ based on brand and use. All I can offer is that using the 91% product (around 78 cents at Walmart) and 30% water "on average" works fine for me personally.

And that takes care of that:righton:

BlackCoupe
06-11-2006, 09:17 PM
SO if I am reading that right, over the counter 70% IP is about what you wind up with adding "on average" 30% water ?

BILL
06-12-2006, 07:54 AM
SO if I am reading that right, over the counter 70% IP is about what you wind up with adding "on average" 30% water ?

Sounds about right......bottom line. i would suggest pour out the bottle of ISO in a pail, refill the bottle with water, [MIX IT UP] and that may be good for what you want........Anyway.thats my plan;)