PDA

View Full Version : Why is optimum spray wax streaking?

Photecs
05-31-2014, 05:46 PM
I have a black SUV, and use optimum spray wax as a "refresher" to my DP max wax after a wash. The last two times I've used it, it's leaving crazy streaks... Really visible on the black paint. After using a fresh MF and 1/4 of a 16 oz bottle of UWW+, I've gotten rid of the majority of them.... But not all of them.

Thoughts?

TuxedoTaurus
05-31-2014, 06:02 PM
Did you let it fully dry before buffing? Sometimes after drying you should let it sit about 5-15 min then buff. If I am using a QW I will wash my car in the evening, then the next morning there will be streaks. So I go over it with a QD and takes it all out.

TrolleyVW
05-31-2014, 06:05 PM
I noticed streaks if the panel is even remotely warm. Definitely if used in direct sunlight.

VP Mark
05-31-2014, 06:19 PM
OCW is not a sun friendly product. It's only downside really.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AG Online

swanicyouth
05-31-2014, 08:07 PM
I've used this product quite a bit. The conclusion I've come to is it doesn't matter much if you use it in reasonable sun or not.

The issue is, it's meant to be a stand alone LSP and works best on naked paint. It's seems to be repelled by other LSPs. Using it as a "refresher" wax will only lead to problems IME. Stick with spray waxes that are mean for that use - for that use.

WRAPT C5Z06
05-31-2014, 08:24 PM
I've used this product quite a bit. The conclusion I've come to is it doesn't matter much if you use it in reasonable sun or not.

The issue is, it's meant to be a stand alone LSP and works best on naked paint. It's seems to be repelled by other LSPs. Using it as a "refresher" wax will only lead to problems IME. Stick with spray waxes that are mean for that use - for that use.
Interesting.

Photecs
05-31-2014, 08:46 PM
I've read multiple threads in here that it can be used as a top up.. It's where I got the idea. It also worked perfectly up until the last two times... Funny enough, it's been hot out.

Today the hood wasn't in direct sunlight, but had just been out all day and was warm/hot to the touch. I'll try it again after dark when things cool down.

Makes sense I guess... I know some other products act similarly in the sun.

TrolleyVW
05-31-2014, 09:24 PM

This would make sense as I've only used OCW as a "refresher" over my DP coating thus far and it always seems to streak. Even more when it's warm but even when the panel is cool, it still streaks a little.

GettingStarted
05-31-2014, 09:35 PM

Do you think because the UV inhibitors actually need to migrate into the clear coat? That would make sense as to why it doesn't react well with other LSP's.

Flatlander
05-31-2014, 09:51 PM
I have a black car and have used OSW many times with no streaking. I know that I have NOT used it on a panel that was even warm. My guess is the warm panel is the problem and it's not being entirely removed with the mf towels. I find i have to switch towels frequently and usse very light pressure on the final wipe.

swanicyouth
05-31-2014, 10:00 PM
I have a black car and have used OSW many times with no streaking. I know that I have NOT used it on a panel that was even warm. My guess is the warm panel is the problem and it's not being entirely removed with the mf towels. I find i have to switch towels frequently and usse very light pressure on the final wipe.

What is OSW?

Do you think because the UV inhibitors actually need to migrate into the clear coat? That would make sense as to why it doesn't react well with other LSP's.

Dunno, but doubt it. Just what I've found using this product as a "topper" (fail) and as a stand alone LSP on dark cars. For every 3 OCW threads out there - there is 2 asking why it streaks or leaves "wax holograms". Of course it will streak on a blazing hot panel - most spray waxes do.

However, I've found the streaking is a non issue when using the product as directed - as a stand alone LSP on "naked" paint. I believe for "top ups" there are much better and more user friendly products out there that will not streak for the average user on a black car under average conditions.