PDA

View Full Version : ONR 1 bucket?

Pages : [1] 2

Autogk
05-31-2014, 04:00 PM
I've been doing traditional 2 bucket washes. I just did a paint correction and applied opticoat. I plan to wash with mostly ONR. After doing some research I have read that ONR causes dirt and particles to sink to the bottom of the bucket.

Is it safe to use only one 5 gallon bucket of ONR with a grit guard, the Opti-Mitt, and a wheel brush? I'd be rinsing the Mitt and wheel brush in the same bucket. I'd use the same bucket for multiple washes until it runs out.

Thanks

SoonerGM
05-31-2014, 04:08 PM
i don't know... that may work, but it seems like a lot of filth accumulating in your bucket over time, therefore increasing risk. i think if you clean your wheels regularly, you may be able to get away with soaking some micro fibers in your solution and just wiping them down, and then discarding the dirty towels to be laundered later. applying a sealant may help.

i actually do my whole vehicle this way, but it may be too many micro fibers to deal with for your preference.

GettingStarted
05-31-2014, 04:13 PM
With ONR I do the Garry Dean method. From what I can tell ONR makes the dirt stick to your wash media and doesn't fully dislodge when rubbed against a grit guard.

tiSS'er
05-31-2014, 04:15 PM
With ONR I do the Garry Dean method. From what I can tell ONR makes the dirt stick to your wash media and doesn't fully dislodge when rubbed against a grit guard.

Agreed. I use 6-7 towels per wash and never reintroduce them into the clean wash solution. Safest method if you ask me. I have had great luck so far with this method on my very soft SS black paint.

Klasse Act
05-31-2014, 04:29 PM
Why risk it....better yet, DON'T!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

Autogk
05-31-2014, 04:47 PM
I'm using MF towels until my Mitt ships. I have a fullsize SUV and my wife has a mid size. I'm tired of using so many towels. The Mitt supposedly releases the dirt. I like the idea of using the MFs on the wheels, but I love using my brush. I have 20" wheels with 8 spokes and big tires (coated, so they usually just need a quick brushing (soft bristle). I guess I'll stick w 2 buckets for now.

VP Mark
05-31-2014, 05:03 PM
I mostly just use one bucket with ONR. Never had any issues.

SoonerGM
05-31-2014, 07:18 PM
I mostly just use one bucket with ONR. Never had any issues.

you use the same bucket for multiple washes too?

VP Mark
05-31-2014, 07:33 PM
you use the same bucket for multiple washes too?

No I switch between vehicles. I do the body first then wheels/tires/fender wells.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AG Online

frankprozzoly
05-31-2014, 07:36 PM
I've never used ONR. I have Garry deans and I just bought meguiars express wash. Meguiars is cheaper than garry deans and I think it works better. Wiping the mitt on the grit guard takes the dirt off using megs. I don't know which one has more lubrication but I like meguiars

GettingStarted
05-31-2014, 07:38 PM
I've never used ONR. I have Garry deans and I just bought meguiars express wash. Meguiars is cheaper than garry deans and I think it works better. Wiping the mitt on the grit guard takes the dirt off using megs. I don't know which one has more lubrication but I like meguiars

Agreed, personally I feel like the Meguiars provides much more lubrication and also allows you to use the 2BM if you want.

SoonerGM
05-31-2014, 07:43 PM
No I switch between vehicles. I do the body first then wheels/tires/fender wells.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AG Online

see that's what concerned me, the OP said he wanted to use the same bucket for multiple washes until it ran out.

i think your method is actually how ONR was designed to work.

MattPersman
05-31-2014, 07:55 PM
I don't see a problem using the bucket for multiple washes but only if you don't put dirty towels or brushes back in the bucket. Will the sand and dirt go to the bottom yeah sure it will it weighs more than water; leaves, pollen stuff, etc will stay on top and float and dirty it up. You can use the Garry dean method multiple times with the same bucket.

Autogk
05-31-2014, 09:11 PM
So then I'll do 1 bucket, 1-2 gallons and dump it out after each wash.

Real Riders
06-01-2014, 12:44 AM

Are you using Meguiars D-114 or D115?