PDA

View Full Version : Paint haze after using rubbing compound

petey23
05-31-2014, 01:14 PM
I recently used some dealer touch-up paint to fill in rock chips and then Turtle Wax rubbing compound to smooth it out, but the compound and application left a brownish, dull haze visible from several angles. I've attached two pictures of the problem. The original and touch-up paint is Honda Satin Silver, in case that is important.

I am wondering how to get rid of the haze and and basically make the paint in these areas look as good as possible.

DaveT435
05-31-2014, 01:26 PM
You'll have to use a polish to remove the haze

DaveT435
05-31-2014, 01:27 PM
If you want something OTC I would get some Meguires 205. I assume you are working by hand?

petey23
05-31-2014, 01:35 PM
Thanks Dave. Yes, working by hand. I've read of people having similar problems after using Turtle Wax (and probably other products, too), but wanted to make sure with the experts before I screw something else up.

DaveT435
05-31-2014, 01:43 PM
Your welcome. :) Hope it's a small area. Working by hand can get brutal lol

DaveT435
05-31-2014, 01:43 PM
Let me know how it turns out

petey23
05-31-2014, 01:51 PM
Sorry, I meant to include this photo in my original post.

Is there a particular Meguiars pad I should use for applying the 205? And I assume I should do the entire hood, right?

One last question: if the 205 doesn't resolve the problem, should I then move up to something like ultimate compound, followed up with another run with 205?

Thanks again.

DaveT435
05-31-2014, 01:59 PM
I'm on my iPad so can't see the pic very good. Yes if the 205 isn't doing it then use UC first. You will get the best looks doing the whole hood. If you do the whole hood I would recommend clawing first. What did you use the rubbing compound to remove?

petey23
05-31-2014, 02:22 PM
I'm on my iPad so can't see the pic very good. Yes if the 205 isn't doing it then use UC first. You will get the best looks doing the whole hood. If you do the whole hood I would recommend clawing first. What did you use the rubbing compound to remove?

Rock chips from highway driving on the front end of the hood. I got paint from the dealer and touched them up and then tried to smooth the paint out with the rubbing compound. Probably wasn't the best idea, in retrospect--I should have posted here first or let a professional do it but that's water under the bridge now I guess.

DaveT435
05-31-2014, 02:29 PM
Rock chips from highway driving on the front end of the hood. I got paint from the dealer and touched them up and then tried to smooth the paint out with the rubbing compound. Probably wasn't the best idea, in retrospect--I should have posted here first or let a professional do it but that's water under the bridge now I guess.

You could have done a lot worse! To level the paint most times you have to wet sand which you definitely don't want to do without experience!! I've seen people come on here who have tried wet sanding and gone right through the clear. Sounds like all you did was make a little more work for yourself. lol

S2K
05-31-2014, 02:32 PM
DaveT has got you covered but I think he meant 'claying' not 'clawing', don't want you getting confused by a typo. And I agree, I would definitely clay that hood before I tried to polish it.
Here's a link to some nice little hand polishing pads:

CCS Euro Foam Hand Polish Applicators - Hand polish, hand detail, foam applicators, CCS foam pads, polishing pad (http://www.autogeek.net/ccs-foam-hand-applicators.html)

They work good, I use them on the small areas that I can't get with the machine.

petey23
06-02-2014, 02:52 AM
Dave, the 205 worked wonders. I also got some ultimate compound, fully expecting to have to use it, but it didn't seem to need it. Pretty tiring by hand, but at least it was only the hood. For a 15 year old car, it looks damn good now.

I owe you and S2K a six-pack each I'd say.

DaveT435
06-02-2014, 09:51 AM
Dave, the 205 worked wonders. I also got some ultimate compound, fully expecting to have to use it, but it didn't seem to need it. Pretty tiring by hand, but at least it was only the hood. For a 15 year old car, it looks damn good now.

I owe you and S2K a six-pack each I'd say.

Glad it worked out for you. You don't owe anyone anything. That's what this site is all about...helping each other.

Good catch on the typo S2K...yeah clawing the hood before polishing really wouldn't be very beneficial lol