PDA

View Full Version : New Black car questions

Pages : [1] 2

Fly5465
05-31-2014, 07:44 AM
Hey all, I just bought a new black car and have some questions. First let me say I'm not 100% new to detailing but I am far from a pro as I'm still learning. I have a Groit's polisher and pads. Also have some M105, M205 and Collinite wax.

Anyway, my new car was at the dealer lot for a while and of course they don't care how they washed it. Lets just say it needs paint correction

So I'm going to have it professionally polished at a very reputable shop here in Arizona. They aren't cheap, but I want it perfect to start with, and I'm know they can do much better than I can. They are going to put an "Acrylic Sealant" on it.

This car is only a weekend toy and will always be garage when not driven. But it still gets somewhat dusty in the garage (its Arizona...dang dust!)

I'm looking for suggestions on products to keep it clean between washing. Here are my questions... Also looking for suggestions on keep a black car looking great.

1) whats best to dust it off? Detail spray and Microfiber?
2) maybe a "California Duster" or "Kozak" cloth?
3) after washing, what to dry it with? Chamois or Microfiber towel?
4) also, can I or should I apply Collinite 845, over the Acrylic sealant, maybe every 4~6 weeks?

Thanks. Fairly new to black cars.. Here is a picture of it

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z112/fly5465/Miata/2013/IMG_5320s_zps2b24d0d7.jpg

frankprozzoly
05-31-2014, 07:53 AM
Check out junkman 2000 on YouTube showing how to properly use the CA duster and detail spray. From all that I've read, yes you can wax over the sealant. Sealant always goes on first

Fly5465
05-31-2014, 07:01 PM
Check out junkman 2000 on YouTube showing how to properly use the CA duster and detail spray. From all that I've read, yes you can wax over the sealant. Sealant always goes on first

Thanks for the tip on watching junkman. Wow, he has a lot of videos. Been watching a few of them. Looks like I need to order a few new things from AG. I think I will go to the 2 bucket method for washing. Also I like the idea of drying with a leaf blower.

Dale - AZ

BlackRam
05-31-2014, 07:09 PM
I also have a black vehicle. try not to touch the paint if you dont have to, meaning if you feel the need to use a QD (quik detailer), then just take the extra time to either wash it or do a rinseless wash, ONR is a good bet. I have used a QD on my rims, but they are coated and you cant see any scratches or swirls on them.
what acrylic sealant are they using?

tiSS'er
05-31-2014, 07:22 PM
I am in Phoenix and also have a black car that is garaged, however it is a daily driver. If your water is anything like mine, it is extremely hard. With our exceptionally dry climate, washing a black car traditionally, especially in the summer is very difficult. I have found that in most cases, the marring I get is from drying the car, rather than washing. I find that the water drys immediately, and even with a drying aid, you have to work a bit harder to get off the water spots, and this is where the swirls and marring comes from.

As suggested, rinseless and waterless washing has become my savior. I have soft water in the house, when using rinseless washes I follow the Gary Dean method. When rinseless washing work one small panel at a time, and you can dry the car very delicately. In the summer, I have to work on half the hood (bonnet) at a time, or I will get streaking from the rinseless drying before I can get to dry it. Waterless washing is great as well, especially if you stay up on it. The California Duster is a great tool, but as mentioned it is critical that you use it properly. The Junkman video is a great example of the right way.

Since moving to rinseless and waterless, i have found I have less marring on the paint, and I can take my time washing the car rather than rushing through it and being careless in an attempt to get the car dried.

swanicyouth
05-31-2014, 08:43 PM
Your in AZ? I'd get a CR Spotless, a Master Blaster, and some quality waffle weave towels. Of course all that stuff cost $$$. But, that really is the best stuff to use to wash a black car in a hot climate.

You also want to get a quality wash mitt and use the 2 bucket wash method with Grit Guards. I don't really do rinseless or waterless washes on my black garage queen. IME those methods will generally cause more marring than a 2BM done correctly. I guess it depends how picky you are...

But, waterless/rinseless washes do have a threshold where the car is too dirty to perform them. Most waterless/rinseless wash manufacturers do make some mention of this. The reason being is because it's just not as "paint safe" to do a rinseless wash on a dirty panel than it is to rinse particulates off a panel with a hose/pressure washer/lots of water and then do a 2BM with a quality car wash soap.

I use rinseless/waterless products much of the time - but I always preface these washes with foaming and pressure rinsing the car. So, technically - it's not a rinseless or waterless wash, since I'm using copious amounts of water to knock the majority of particulates off the panel prior to touching it.

PS. If your concerned with marring, don't "dust off", QD, or "wipe down" the car. This will lead to marring for sure. Wash the car - drive it. When it's dirty. Just wash it again. Constantly "wiping down" your black car to remove "dust"/dirt will mar it fairly quickly.

Charger12
05-31-2014, 10:03 PM
Nice ride my friend,welcome to the world of black cars,they r beauties. My kids love to screw with me after I clean her up,they love to put there hand prints all over to drive me insane!! A never ending war! They r 16 & 12 so they know how to drive me crazy!!!

GettingStarted
05-31-2014, 10:09 PM
Another Phoenix resident here, rinseless washes are gonna save you so much this summer. You don't have to worry about water spots and its actually faster and hassle free if you wash on a weekly to bi-weekly basis on a sealed vehicle. You can even wash inside your garage to protect you from this sweltering heat. Just make sure to buy quality washing and drying products and you should be all set.

Fly5465
05-31-2014, 10:58 PM
Whew! Wow so much info today. I have spent many hours reading stuff here and on the web about washing a dang car! LOL.

I like what you all have recommended and have done a fair amount of reading on the 2 bucket wash as well as the rinseless wash. I also watched the videos about the Gary Dean method.

I'm still a little confused as to the difference between a waterless wash and a rinseless wash. They sound similar.

Honestly the Gary Dean method and the the ONR method go against things I thought I learned years ago about washing cars. But it sounds like it works.

Since my car is not a daily driver and garaged most of the time, its mainly dust that I would be cleaning most of the time. So I'm thinking I will try the Gary Dean method (similar to ONR video). Then if the car is a bit dirtier, I will do the 2 bucket wash.

Now I need to get a bunch of micro fiber towels and some cleaning solution. Should I just go with ONR or should I get the "Infinite Use Detail Juice"?

What towels do you guys recommend for my use?

Thanks again for the help.

Oh by the way to BlackRam, I don't know what product they are using for the Acrylic Sealant. The place I'm taking my car to is " Car cleaners detailing" in Mesa. I have seen their work, its awesome. Once they get it done, I hope I can keep it up.

Here is a link to their website QUALITY INTEGRITY RESULTS (http://www.carcleanersdetailing.com/Auto_Detailing_Mesa_AZ_by_Car_Cleaners_Detailing/Home.html)

Thanks again all,
Dale

sethr
06-01-2014, 01:26 PM
I also have a black vehicle. try not to touch the paint if you dont have to, meaning if you feel the need to use a QD (quik detailer), then just take the extra time to either wash it or do a rinseless wash, ONR is a good bet.

Amen!! You will notice EVERYTHING.

tiSS'er
06-01-2014, 02:07 PM
Whew! Wow so much info today. I have spent many hours reading stuff here and on the web about washing a dang car! LOL.

I like what you all have recommended and have done a fair amount of reading on the 2 bucket wash as well as the rinseless wash. I also watched the videos about the Gary Dean method.

I'm still a little confused as to the difference between a waterless wash and a rinseless wash. They sound similar.

Honestly the Gary Dean method and the the ONR method go against things I thought I learned years ago about washing cars. But it sounds like it works.

Since my car is not a daily driver and garaged most of the time, its mainly dust that I would be cleaning most of the time. So I'm thinking I will try the Gary Dean method (similar to ONR video). Then if the car is a bit dirtier, I will do the 2 bucket wash.

Now I need to get a bunch of micro fiber towels and some cleaning solution. Should I just go with ONR or should I get the "Infinite Use Detail Juice"?

What towels do you guys recommend for my use?

Thanks again for the help.

Oh by the way to BlackRam, I don't know what product they are using for the Acrylic Sealant. The place I'm taking my car to is " Car cleaners detailing" in Mesa. I have seen their work, its awesome. Once they get it done, I hope I can keep it up.

Here is a link to their website QUALITY INTEGRITY RESULTS (http://www.carcleanersdetailing.com/Auto_Detailing_Mesa_AZ_by_Car_Cleaners_Detailing/Home.html)

Thanks again all,
Dale

Waterless and rinseless are quite different. Waterless you would use a solution mixed up in a spray bottle. Spray the solution directly on the paint and wipe it off with a clean MF towel, very similar to using a quick detailer. Waterless washing is safer than a QD for removing dust as it has 2 main functions.

1. Lubricity - it lubricates the paint to prevent the dry MF towels from scratching.

2. Emulsification - the solution breaks down and emulsifies and encapsulates the dirt particles. The dirt is actually wrapped in polymers and pulled away form the paint.

Rinseless washing is very similar to a regular wash, except you don't rinse your car before or after you wash. Products like ONR do not suds up, therefore there is no need to rinse. ONR contains polymers that perform the above duties, but addsa significant amount of water to make the process even safer. Many people choose to rinse their cars before doing a rinseless wash to remove as much of the contaminents as possible before beginning a rinseless wash. If the car is very dirty, like after a rain storm, I choose to do a regular wash, though it is not necessary. ONR or similar can be used on cars that are rather dirty, though I will take my precautions. However, since we Phoenicians typically only deal with dust either a waterless or rinseless wash will do the trick.

I find when i do the Gary Dean method, In can mix up 1 gallon of water with 1/2oz of ONR, 10 MF towels (I use one per panel and then put it in a seperate bucket to be washed when done) and I end up with only a few ounces of water left over.

I find that either of these solutions work great as you can clean your car in the garage, working on a cool surface. If you have soft water, that is a plus. Products like ONR also help to soften the water. I find that rinseless is safer than waterless, but waterless is safer than a QD.

Both rinseless and waterless are quicker to do, and although we don't currently have water restrictions, I expect them to be issued soon with the continued western drought. Shoot, lake Powell is only at 42% capacity now, in 2000 it was 93%.

I know waterless and rinseless washing sounds scary, but like everything else, technology has changed, and we have products that are geared toward saving one of our most precious resources. I have given my dad (74 year old man) a rinseless wash kit. Much like you, he was very skeptical, but one I showed him the result on my non-metallic black car, he gave it a try. He is now converted, he won't wash his car any other way, unless it is a total mess.

And finally, with either waterless or rinseless, quality MF towels and technique are critical. Work top down, use only clean MFs and plenty of cleaner.

Fly5465
06-01-2014, 03:32 PM
tiSS'er,
Thanks for the detailed reply. That makes it more clear. I'm going to try the rinse-less Gary Dean Method. I've watched his latest videos and he pre-treats the panel by spraying it with a solution of his USDJ. Do you recommend pre-treating as well? Can you do this with ONR diluted in a spray bottle?

Thanks again,
appreciate it!!

GettingStarted
06-01-2014, 04:01 PM
tiSS'er,
Thanks for the detailed reply. That makes it more clear. I'm going to try the rinse-less Gary Dean Method. I've watched his latest videos and he pre-treats the panel by spraying it with a solution of his USDJ. Do you recommend pre-treating as well? Can you do this with ONR diluted in a spray bottle?

Thanks again,
appreciate it!!

Yeah you can pretreat the panel before hand. Go to home depot or lowes and pick yourself up a hand pump sprayer to save your hands.

Niblick
06-01-2014, 04:33 PM
As suggested earlier, snow foam and rinse is a great way to remove dust without touching the paint. A feather duster is also worth considering, as the static charge will lift dust away from the paint surface (it also avoids contact through towel drying)

tiSS'er
06-01-2014, 05:26 PM
tiSS'er,

Thanks again,
appreciate it!!

I do pre-treat every panel with ONR solution before I begin. Feels safer to me.