PDA

View Full Version : The little "detail" in detailing

BrianMcLeod
05-31-2014, 01:51 AM
Hey everybody I was wondering if y'all have any tips on the little details in detailing like what to clean for instance the window and the rubber between it.. or the emblems on the car to get and wax/dirt out of there. Thanks in advance I think this should help out every one probably except the pros lol

Pureshine
05-31-2014, 10:28 AM
For emblems steam and some polish with a q-tip works great. For the rubber between windows I use some APC and a brush will it's foaming. For the cracks around the if the brush didn't get everything out. I use a MF towel an a special tool I found to use.

Paul A.
05-31-2014, 10:51 AM
It has been disgussed ad nauseum here about the need to tape and i have expanded the use of tape quite a bit over the years. Having spent way too much time removing polishes and wax in crevices and emblems i have found so much time is saved in simply taping everything off. For those i have forgotten or simply gotten too lazy or pressed for time and didn't tape off, i use a good AIO with a MF towel and an assortment of very small wooden dowels wrapped in a MF to clean up emblems, badges etc. Sometimes i use iso alc and a small boars hair brush to cleam them up prior to applying my sealant which doesn't leave anything to dry up and cake like cake batter after.

But tape usually saves my butt and while somewhat labor intensive and time consuming to apply, when you pull it off which only takes a minute all your left with is cleaning up the tape line residue.

For glass, i clay along with the paint. Final cleaning is with 0000 steel wool and sprayway and then a final Sprayway with a WW MF drying towel. Use the old trick of one direction for the outside of the glass and another direction for the interior. That is, maybe horizontal on the outside and lateral on the inside. That way, if you have any streaks at all you can easily tell which side of the glass they are on.

Niblick
05-31-2014, 11:39 AM
Some great tips and advise there. One of the things I've done is to pinch one end of a 2ft long piece of garden hose into the end of my hoovers crevice tool and tape it in place. It creates a very flexible and far more versatile tool for hoovering in tight places.

BrianMcLeod
05-31-2014, 02:04 PM
Good tips what is the special tool you found to do it pureshine?

Pureshine
05-31-2014, 11:46 PM
Good tips what is the special tool you found to do it pureshine?

Here is the link for you.
CountyComm - Norton's U.C.S. (Universal Cleaning Stick) (http://www.countycomm.com/ucs.html)

spiralout462
06-01-2014, 12:05 AM
Some great tips and advise there. One of the things I've done is to pinch one end of a 2ft long piece of garden hose into the end of my hoovers crevice tool and tape it in place. It creates a very flexible and far more versatile tool for hoovering in tight places.

I really like the "micro" attachments that Shop-Vac distributes. They come in very handy!