PDA

View Full Version : Couple Of Newbie Questions On Interior Detailing

wiscTom
07-25-2007, 02:49 PM
I could use a little help/advice from the detailing experts. I really haven’t done anything to my interior since I bought this used car about 3 months ago except the leather seats with DG cleaner and conditioner.

I’m planning on doing a thorough job this weekend and could use some advice on product and technique. With my resent order from AG, I picked up, among other things, DP 4 in 1, DP Total Interior Cleaner, MEGs APC, and PB Natural Look.

My thought is that I would wipe the non-leather (there’s leather on the door panels) down with an MF and the DP Interior Cleaner and the wipe those parts with the PBNL. Is there any technique for using any of these products (wipe on, wipe off, rub in ?).

I have some 303 Protectant … would this be better as a conditioner on the dash than the PBNL ?

I’d like to also give the carpets a good cleaning. They’re in pretty good shape, so I guess I just want to do a basic cleaning and fluff them up a little. Would any of my existing products work or should I pick up some OTC carpet product ?

Thanks for any advice you can provide …. Tom

D
07-25-2007, 05:54 PM
Since your car is pretty new, Id go with DP total interior cleaner diluted 3:1 on EVERYTHING (carpet, leather, etc.) except glass. If you have some stains on the carpet, then it hit full strength with the DP cleaner.

Its very simple to use, spray on surface, or MF, then wipe dry. For the carpet, vacuum first, spray on, work in with brush, vacuum again, done.

I dont see a need to use Megs APC anywhere on the interior unless DP cleaner straight cant get the job done. Even diluted 10:1 it still has a pH of 12. So DO NOT use it on leather at all.

wiscTom
07-25-2007, 08:42 PM
Dan,

Thanks for the quick reply. My car isn't new (guess I didn't make that very clear - 2004 Cadillac Seville). When you say to use DP Interior Cleaner (3:1) on everything is that 3 parts cleaner and one part water or the other way ?

You mentioned to stay off the glass, when I get some on the glass (might be pretty hard to avoid the windshield when doing the dash), can I just remove with Stoners ?

Would I use the DP on the clear plastic gauge display window or just use something like Stoners and do I need to treat the display window after cleaning with anything ?

How is the PB Natural Look applied, same way, just wipe on and wipe off ?

Thanks again .... Tom

D
07-25-2007, 11:32 PM
Oops, missed the "used" part. In that case, Id go with DP cleaner 3:1 or 2:1 for leather, dash, etc. Then full strength on the carpet.

The ratios are water to cleaner. So 3 parts water, 1 part cleaner.

I havent see any negative affects from getting some on glass. If you do, just wipe it off and come back with Stoners.

Stoners will be fine for the clear plastic gauge display. A better choice for that would be DP Plex All or Plexus.

I havent used PB NL. But you can just apply it however you want, then buff with MF.

Jay Laub
07-26-2007, 09:50 PM
:iagree: with them. and on the 303 or PBNL 303 is a matte finish, and PBNL is more of a "natural look"...hence the name:)

Jay Laub
07-26-2007, 09:53 PM
almost forgot...on the clear plastics and glass just get some OTC cleaner, the most expensive things arent always the best, pump spray glass cleaners are probably half the price of aerosols and work just as well IMO....just a little tip

redmansioner
07-31-2007, 03:08 AM
If your car mods are meant to look different.Its a good idea to have some changes in your interiors.A husky liner (http://www.speedyperformanceparts.com/huskyliner_p.html) has proved more elegance for my car's interior.