PDA

View Full Version : Static Cling?

Paulyfe12
05-29-2014, 01:36 PM
So I have a ton of microfiber towels like any car guy should. But It seems like everything I clean especially glass has this weird dust or lint on it. At first I thought the area was grabbing the dust from the towel so I clayed it again just to be safe, but it was still there. I figured it was the towel so I tried a different kind of towel, I used a smooth finishing cotton towel and the lint came right off. I'm thinking it might be static cling happening between the microfiber towels and the paint and glass. Anyone have this problem and know how to deal with it so I can move on with my life lol?

cleanmycorolla
05-29-2014, 01:37 PM
How are you washing your microfibers, and what brand are they?

wdmaccord
05-29-2014, 04:15 PM
Are you using MF glass towels or MF WW glass towels? I don't usually get any static or linting from my WW glass towels. I did have issues when I used my 530 gsm a couple times.

Paul A.
05-29-2014, 06:15 PM
Do you dry them after a wash in a dryer? The only time i did that (needed them quick) i learned the hard way about static in plastic materials. Have never done that since, simply hang to air dry.

frankprozzoly
05-29-2014, 06:22 PM
I get tiny lint left all over the surface too. I bought waffle weave and borderless from the rag company. I never put them in the dryer. I use free and clear detergent with a couple ounces of GG mf cleaner and a cup of vinegar in the rinse. Rinse them twice. I still get lint. I guess I have to get the zaino cotton borderless towels. They're just more than id like to spend. The borderless mf towels were not cheap either

frankprozzoly
05-29-2014, 06:23 PM
I don't get lint from the waffle weave but I don't use them to wipe off wax

Paulyfe12
05-29-2014, 10:12 PM
I just throw em in the wash and then dryer, not a good idea?

Riff
05-29-2014, 10:20 PM

That's what I do. Never had a problem.

Paulyfe12
05-29-2014, 10:21 PM
I don't have any waffle weave towels, I just have a bunch of normal everyday micros

frankprozzoly
05-30-2014, 02:59 AM
Directions say low heat is ok but I think the material starts to burn in high heat. The test is if a drop of water sits instead of being absorbed by the towel it's bad.

mwoolfso
05-30-2014, 06:25 AM

Try the test below and you will find out. Most of the time the fabric softeners in wash and rinse products will inhibit the towels from doing their job properly.

Directions say low heat is ok but I think the material starts to burn in high heat. The test is if a drop of water sits instead of being absorbed by the towel it's bad.

sethr
05-30-2014, 07:25 AM
I wash ONLY after having run something through with Tide--non liquid. Most of those liquid detergents have some kind of scent (regardless of what they say) that leaves a residue. I use a squirt of Dawn. The MF wash mitts have residual DG 901 in them too.

You need some kind of "fabric softener" to eliminate static cling. That's its purpose. I add 1/4-1/2 cup of white vinegar to the rinse. And, no, they do not smell like vinegar when done.

I have also seen info on wiping the dryer with IPA to get any residual dryer sheet yuch out. So I give the drum, wall and door a quick wipe.

DetailKitty
05-30-2014, 08:53 AM
Low heat in the dryer and vinegar added to the wash!