PDA

View Full Version : how many coats of klasse sg / topcoating

Pages : [1] 2 3

impulseblue06
05-28-2014, 08:11 PM
I am in the process of a full detail on my gto buffed with denim pads and velvet with m105 and m205 followed by klasse aio and now have one coat of klasse sealant glaze debating how many coats to put on or if I should just top coat with p21s I'm going for the best finish overall let me know your opinion my car is garage kept and usually just comes out for car cruises.

TroyScherer
05-28-2014, 08:19 PM
In my opinion I got the best gloss when did 3 layers. That was also when I got the best durability. Anything over 3 was just overkill.

tommygee
05-28-2014, 08:59 PM
3 coats of SG for me with 2 coats of 845 on top

impulseblue06
05-28-2014, 10:57 PM
I did a second coat tonight not sure if it's in my head but the car looks cleaner to me and shinier I will go for the third coat in a few days now my understanding is that if I topcoat it then I will no longer be able to layer it and will have to strip it to add layers entirely?

The Guz
05-29-2014, 01:44 AM
2-3 coats is good.

TroyScherer
05-29-2014, 05:52 AM
I did a second coat tonight not sure if it's in my head but the car looks cleaner to me and shinier I will go for the third coat in a few days now my understanding is that if I topcoat it then I will no longer be able to layer it and will have to strip it to add layers entirely?

If you use a wax to "topcoat" then you won't really be able to apply more layers of KSG and have it bond properly. Always wax over sealant, not sealant over wax.

FUNX650
05-29-2014, 06:02 AM
That sounds like that's a pretty dense LSP film-layer.

Bob

Desertnate
05-29-2014, 07:37 AM
I've always been happy with two layers. I've never noticed any improvements in the shine, but two layers of SG ensures everything is covered evenly and you'll easily get six months of protection.

Klasse Act
05-29-2014, 07:41 AM
In my opinion I got the best gloss when did 3 layers. That was also when I got the best durability. Anything over 3 was just overkill.

I agree 100%, obviously wait the 12 hrs inbetween coats of KSG. If you wanna change the look a little bit you can top the KSG with something like P21s, but remember this will give a warm, natrual look whereas the KSG leaves the paint looking like "candy apple".

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

Paul A.
05-29-2014, 09:39 AM
When i used Klasse SG (and Zaino back in the day) i always applied 2 layers. My logic was that it was going on soooo thin i used the second layer to insure even coverage. I would sometimes layer on some nice carnauba for a little more "glow" but only after waiting for full curing. My toppings with nuba were reserved for the semi annual pre-love bug infestation in FL.

impulseblue06
05-29-2014, 10:19 AM
Puckman I am also in the Tampa area moved from Pennsylvania around a month ago it will be nice to be able to have my car out more often down here my other vehicle is my wife's forester that I am going to do the klasse treatment on also after it is buffed out so for the most glow you would say topping the sealant is the way to go.... In your experience in Florida how quickly does wax melt away? If I would topcoat I would be using p21s

cleanmycorolla
05-29-2014, 01:42 PM

Im pretty sure applying all those layers probably took some off with all those solvents!

Seems a bit overkill to me, but it's working for you so rock on!:dblthumb2:

tommygee
05-29-2014, 03:59 PM
Im pretty sure applying all those layers probably took some off with all those solvents!

Seems a bit overkill to me, but it's working for you so rock on!:dblthumb2:

I'm not alone on AG doing this. Cure time between coats and with NE Ohio weather seems to work pretty well.

Klasse Act
05-29-2014, 04:15 PM
I see nothing wrong with #845 ontop of KSG if you want to but you know what might be even better, #915!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

Paul A.
05-29-2014, 05:09 PM
Sorry impulse...just saw your question. I top with Natty's Blue during the 2 semi annual love bug seasons down here. My car is black! Take my car, go over to a mall and come out 2-3 hours later. The paint is so hot you cannot touch it. Now think of the wax. A natural material that turns to mush and is extremely soft on that blistering paint. Then drive home and get a torrential, gully washing heavy downpour on the way. Whatever carnauba wax mush was on the paint is dripping onto the asphalt! Durability of carnauba's in our climate? Maybe a week. Hopefully a week. I reapply during love bug season maybe once every 2 weeks.

Which is why i love sealants down here. And being originally from Mass, another thing i love is the much nicer condition of the roads. Coming from PA you will like that too! My low profile tires won't cause bent rims like they would if i ever moved back home. :dblthumb2:

Welcome brother!