PDA

View Full Version : lacquer swirls,fine scratches

goatman65
05-28-2014, 06:38 PM
I just buffed out the year old single stage lacquer on my car.It looks amazing under the garage lights but in bright sunlight it looks horrible. It is covered with fine scratches and swirls.

I colorsanded with 3000 then used a rotary buffer with a wool pad and Megs 105 compound. I followed that with Megs 205 polish on an orange Lake Smartpad and applied it with a 2474xp. I polished it just like I see in the videos and wiped it off with a micro-fiber towel. It seems like the 205 and orange pad are causing the swirls instead of removing them.

I went over it twice with the 205 and it still looked the same. Then I switched to a yellow pad with 205,still swirls. Speed setting on the PC is 5-6 and I make 6 passes.

Do I need a different pad or polish? Something less abrasive after the orange pad and 105? This is my show car so I don't want any streaks. By the way the color is dark maroon with a clear coat that is also lacquer.Thanks.

GettingStarted
05-28-2014, 06:41 PM
Sounds like you need softer foam pad.

Niblick
05-28-2014, 07:21 PM
:iagree:
You've tried to refine it with a compounding pad, you need to use a finishing pad. The other thing that you don't mention is whether or not you've washed the car after sanding it. You may simply be reintroducing debris from the sanding when you're polishing. Some photos would help access the situation tbh.

BillyJack
05-29-2014, 10:31 AM
I'm very familiar with lacquer paint, albeit old in my case (see avatar). I'll usually see a very fine haze using a finishing polish with a polishing pad. Switching to a finishing pad would normally get it cleared. I've not used M205 on my Camino, so I can't comment on it, but I have used Meguiar's M03, M09, M80 and D151, as well as Optimum Finish Polish and Blackfire TPS, all with success.

Bill

goatman65
05-29-2014, 06:30 PM
It just seems to me that the Megs 205 and orange pad are a little too aggressive for acrylic lacquer. I thunk I need a finer polish and or softer pad. I have always hand rubbed lacquer with either 3M or Dupont compound and terrycloth. This is my first time using a machine.