PDA

View Full Version : Pro Detailer wanted in Tallahassee, Florida or as far as Stuart, FL

Pages : [1] 2

Mrjimmy
05-28-2014, 01:36 PM
Hello guys,

I am very happy I found this forum! I purchased a 2006 LS 430 in May 2013. It's Flint Mica. The mileage was 26,500. I have about 36,000 miles on it now.

I recently took my car to a Lexus dealership to have my clear bra removed from the hood because it is cracking.

It appears they were planning to remove the clear bra and apply a coat of clear coat to the hood because they fear that the paint will pull up with removal of the clear bra. I'm not so sure! The service tech did say that his detailers weren't that good.

I believe this job can be completed with a good cut and buff. Any understanding that anyone can provide would be helpful.

I would truly dread getting this car repainted unless it's absolutely necessary, if they are anything like the collision shops I have been to in the past. I want to make sure they are not ruining my car. I have a few questions:

1. Is this the proper procedure after removing a clear bra?

2. Can you guys refer me to a pro detailer? Anywhere from Tallahassee to Stuart, Florida is an acceptable distance for me to travel.

3. Can you remove the clear bra as well?

I have attached photos.

Thanks in advance,

Jimmy

eaglefan
05-28-2014, 01:51 PM
If the paint peels off with the bra, your whole car is in trouble. I would say that if the bra is removed properly, then the removal process should not be a reason to repaint. If the condition under the bra is in poor shape to begin with then that could be the cause for a repaint.

EVOlved
05-28-2014, 01:57 PM
Do not do this job there!! The clear bra had been preserving the paint underneath and should only need polishing or compounding find a good detailer in the area.

Mrjimmy
05-28-2014, 02:06 PM
I totally agree. I believe are they are being a little dishonest. The paint is an excellent condition everywhere else; I can't see why it would be bad in one area. Hence, when I asked about their detailers, "I have seen better". They crazy part is the owner has a Mecedes Benz, Lexus, and Porshce dealership, but no PRO detailers! SMH

dirtydirty
05-28-2014, 05:31 PM
If you want to drive to Valdosta I can polish it out for ya

rms64
05-28-2014, 06:41 PM
If you'd like to come to Orlando, i'd be happy to help and even give you a lesson or two...pm if interested!

Regards and welcome to the forum..

Rob

Justin at Final Inspection
05-28-2014, 08:04 PM
I am in port saint Lucie which is right next to Stuart. I could polish it out for ya. From my experience even with low mileage clear bra it has the possibility of pulling paint off even when being careful. Not that its guaranteed to but there is a chance. I see it as a big liability removing it. Since it is cracking already it is most likely to peel in small pieces and not one big sheet. Just my opinion.

custmsprty
05-28-2014, 08:14 PM
google it up, removing clear bra. I found numerous videos. Basically you use a heat gun.

57BORNTORUN
05-28-2014, 09:00 PM
If Smokinss can`t do it because of scheduling (God bless Your new born and not trying to take food from anybodys mouth) then Robert from Impressions in the Palm City-Stuart area.Most know him as Mike`s go to guy in the videos and Thursday night makeovers at autogeek.(772)260-6636:buffing:

05-28-2014, 09:26 PM
If Smokinss can`t do it because of scheduling (God bless Your new born and not trying to take food from anybodys mouth) then Robert from Impressions in the Palm City-Stuart area.Most know him as Mike`s go to guy in the videos and Thursday night makeovers at autogeek.(772)260-6636:buffing:

Thank you for the kind words! +1 for Rob at impressions. Great guy.

Mrjimmy
05-28-2014, 09:35 PM
I am in port saint Lucie which is right next to Stuart. I could polish it out for ya. From my experience even with low mileage clear bra it has the possibility of pulling paint off even when being careful. Not that its guaranteed to but there is a chance. I see it as a big liability removing it. Since it is cracking already it is most likely to peel in small pieces and not one big sheet. Just my opinion.

Thanks for all the replies.

If the paint does crack, whats the solution? Clear coat?

05-29-2014, 05:50 AM
Worst case is that when removing the clear bra it peels the paint off with it. My assumption is that since the clear bra is cracking that it has been on for a long time. Typically you use a heat gun and have the car in direct sunlight to help heat it up evenly. Sometimes it peels off in a nice sheet and other times it just breaks apart.

If it does peel the paint then it obviously needs to be repainted not new clear coat.

This picture below is from my friends shop the other day. Now mind you he has even more experience than I do and I have 12yrs. This is a M3 BMW with only 7k miles. The customer wanted the clear bra removed and this is what happened. New or old you just can't predict what it is going to do.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g173/camaro00/mms_img859836545_zpsmupr3ive.jpg (http://s56.photobucket.com/user/camaro00/media/mms_img859836545_zpsmupr3ive.jpg.html)

Mrjimmy
05-29-2014, 07:36 AM
So it sounds like I will need a collision shop on stand by. What are the options in your area?

Setec Astronomy
05-29-2014, 07:42 AM
Is this a candidate for a Thursday night garage project?

Mrjimmy
05-29-2014, 08:21 AM
Sounds like it!:)