PDA

View Full Version : Black exterior trim

cwienk
05-28-2014, 10:25 AM
I was curious as to what kind if reviews and products people would lean towards for black trim that is I'm Florida sun/heat? Is there any that are kind of leading the way as far as quality and length?

cleanmycorolla
05-28-2014, 10:34 AM
Dlux or WETS

Setec Astronomy
05-28-2014, 10:36 AM
You've got your trim restorers like CarPro DLux and Gtechniq C4 (and arguably Optimum Opti-Lens), then you've got your sealant-dressings like Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant and Ultima Tire & Trim Guard (and arguably CarPro Perl).

If your trim is badly faded, you will need a restorer, if it's good or mildly faded, one of the sealant-dressings should work.

cwienk
05-28-2014, 11:05 AM
You've got your trim restorers like CarPro DLux and Gtechniq C4 (and arguably Optimum Opti-Lens), then you've got your sealant-dressings like Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant and Ultima Tire & Trim Guard (and arguably CarPro Perl).

If your trim is badly faded, you will need a restorer, if it's good or mildly faded, one of the sealant-dressings should work.

Thank you!!

The trim is pretty good not really faded yet it's a 2012, but I want to keep it in the best condition as possible and it definitely looks way better when all the trim has a wet look!

Angus
05-28-2014, 11:24 AM
+1 on Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant. Great stuff w/ good longevity. I wouldn't say it leaves a "wet look", more like a matte to satin finish.

B-M-D
05-28-2014, 11:51 AM
Wow, product recommendations sure do change in a year or so. It's been about that long since I've visited the forums, and back then everybody was recommending "Black WOW".

Tato
05-28-2014, 12:31 PM
Although it looks in good shape, exterior trim tends to accumulate dirt and grime over time.

My best tip on trim is to thorough clean it prior applying any protection (credits (as always) to Mike Phillips write-ups on this forum).

Once I've made an analogy that the guy liked so much I can share it with you:

'Covering a not cleansed trim with protectant is like using deodorant on a stinky axilla' - no Mike Phillips credits on this one!

Since I like mine/customer's trim mate/factory looking, after the cleansing, I'd coat it with Pinnacle Coating and let it there to preserve it...

If you want a glossy finish, you may look at another suggestion than mine.

However, the cleansing step is mandatory (at least for me).

I like the Meguiar's #39 heavy duty cleaner for this task, but many uses 'just' an APC and that's ok. For APC, I got great success with CG All Clean Citrus+ (maybe not exactly named on this order, lol) on trim, but again, #39 is hands up and down my to-go for trim cleansing.

Take a look at my thread on Civic, I've showed the process I recommended above.

If you notice, some even asked what kind of trim / rubber treatment I've made.

The answer: Just cleansing. The coating will not add (if just little) difference on trim looks, but it'll add protection and it'll be easy to clean on conventional wash going back to best condition, and bead water like paint coated surface.

Here we go,
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/79342-2013-honda-civic-full-detail-pbl-coating-coating-booster.html

Pics are down there after the polishing step, prior coating.

You may also use any trim protectant suggested after the cleansing stage. It'll also last more and look better when applied on a clean surface.

Please, feel free to ask if you need any further info.

Kind Regards.

Ncs0816
05-30-2014, 05:07 AM
Meguiars #41 rubber and vinyl cleaner and conditioner is my choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sethr
05-30-2014, 07:42 AM
I have a 2012 also. The trim has been cleaned, etc., but no "blackeners" added.

Since DG (and Meguiars Ultimate) do not stain trim, I have used both at different times.

Currently, I had DG 105 on the trim. I hit it with Aerospace 303 every couple of weeks too.

Also, after drying the car with either Aquawax or FCS, wipe the door side trim, cowlings, etc. with the already-soaked MFs I dried with.

MarkD51
05-30-2014, 10:13 AM
The CarPro CQuartz DLX is great, and Todd Helm over on Autopia Forum quite recently tested and reviewed GTechniq C4 Trim Restorer.

Seems both these products will provide the best longevity, and thus IMO provide the best bang for the dollar, and also do the best job of protecting your investment.

While I have never tried such, others favorably talk about Solution Finish.

The upsides of the two products I first mention, is they are crystal clear fluids, thus can be used on any color trim, the Solution Finish also contains a black dye.

As for Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant (called "WETS"), this too is a very nice product, perhaps not as long lasting as the first two coatings, but a darn fine product, and I myself love what it does with things like Rubber Trim, and Weather Stripping.

For Rubber Weather Stripping, the WETS seems to also clean as well as protect, giving all Rubber a beautiful black look, and an extremely supple buttery smooth feel also. It dries to the touch, and one won't have to worry about product coming off on hands, or clothes.

Others also highly like CarPro Perl for Trim and Rubber. I have it, but have yet to try it. I will soon.
Mark

tpr1634
05-30-2014, 11:54 AM
+1 on Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant. Great stuff w/ good longevity. I wouldn't say it leaves a "wet look", more like a matte to satin finish.

Got my vote....:iagree:

Rsurfer
05-30-2014, 01:33 PM
Used C4, UTTG and Dlux with great results.

Docpeanut
05-30-2014, 04:42 PM
Make like the Jeffersons and get yourself Dlux (if you're young google it for my reference)

Radarryan
05-30-2014, 06:33 PM
If you want something permeant, I would go with either CarPro DLux or GTechniq C4. I've used them both and they are great.

If you want a dressing, I would go with Ultima Tire and Trim Guard Plus (UTTG). It is the longest lasting and has a nice, matte finish. Others really like CarPro PERL, which I do too, but it just doesn't last that long. You would probably get 3 or 4 weeks out of it, while UTTG will last a couple times longer.

If you go with any of them, you'll have great results. Happy detailing!

Kamakaz1961
05-30-2014, 07:59 PM
Black Wow Pro is one of the best IMO as for another Great Trim/Tire application is Wolfgang's Trim Sealant. Both are expensive though. The Black Wow lasts longer IMO