PDA

View Full Version : Garaged daily driver...what to do?

JPW
05-28-2014, 10:05 AM
I just changed vehicles from a 2006 BMW 750LI to a Black (Black Metallic) on Black Lincoln MKS (twin turbo). I love this car. I bought it used (9000 miles) from the dealer, but the paint appears to be perfect (not even the slightest scratch or swirl mark). When I picked it up from the dealer, they had detailed it and I'm not sure what they used (I'm still trying to find out), but it looked as wet and glossy as I've ever seen on a car. Once it got rained on I decided to wash it with Meguiar's Wash and Wax product. It cleaned the car fine, but it lost the luster and it made the paint look a little dull compared to before.

On my previous car, the BMW, I did use the full Zaino treatment. It got the car looking great, but the time investment was like an endurance challenge. The new car, the MKS, will be driven daily on an 80 mile commute and garaged at both locations.

My head is spinning from all the products that are out there. I really don't want to go back to the time investment I had to make with Zaino, but I do hope there is something out there that might help me see the wet glossy look again. If a product is easy enough to apply and take off I could see where I might be able to do it every 3 months or so. So maybe durability isn't necessarily needed in my case. Any guidance on a specific product(s) to use would be appreciated.

KneeDragr
05-28-2014, 10:15 AM
Sounds like he used paint glaze to add gloss and hide defects. Once you wash the car its gone.

I think you need to polish the paint, even if there are no swirls it likely needs a pass with a good finishing polish like CarPro Reflect to bring out the gloss.

Then top with whatever LSP you want.

Setec Astronomy
05-28-2014, 10:15 AM
Welcome to the forum. The dealer probably used an oily glaze to prep the car before you picked it up, and your wash removed that.

One of the most important things you can learn here is that wash technique is critical to maintaining the look of your vehicle, especially a black one.

Likely you are going to have to invest some time to get the luster back, then you need to protect the paint and use good technique to keep it that way. If you don't want to invest the time, perhaps there is a forum member local to you who can polish the vehicle and apply a coating, that's your best shot for durability. Where are you located?

FUNX650
05-28-2014, 10:18 AM
:welcome: ...to AGO!

Sounds like they applied some of that good ol' Dealership Glaze.
Nothing that a good car wash or two won't get rid of. :(

I'll suggest applying Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0

Bob

JPW
05-28-2014, 10:21 AM
I'm in Houston. For a polish do you mean it requires something like a rotor to apply it?

TuxedoTaurus
05-28-2014, 10:23 AM
I have the same paint, it is very difficult as the metallic seems to give more of a hazed look. Here are some threads where people have had good success which made me go with Meg's M21 sealant and M26 tech wax. You could also apply some Poor Boys Black Hole glaze, I ordered some and have yet to use it, the youtube videos I saw of the product looked really good.

Romans 5:8 post at the bottom
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/74576-your-best-reflection-shot.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/70604-black-ford-fiesta-paint-correction.html

Munich77
05-28-2014, 08:39 PM
Seal and glaze and a spray wax :).

custmsprty
05-28-2014, 08:43 PM

Bob

:dblthumb2: My favorite sealant.

dmsick
05-28-2014, 09:04 PM
My wife's car is a metallic black Lincoln Navigator. After polishing the paint, I applied Blackfire Crystal Seal. It shines like crazy and is very easy to care for. Now after washing I hit it with Blackfire Wet Diamond Spray and it looks like it did the day I applied the crystal seal. It's very quick and easy.

spiralout462
05-28-2014, 10:05 PM

Bob

:iagree: This product would suit your needs to a tee!

spiralout462
05-28-2014, 10:09 PM
I'm in Houston. For a polish do you mean it requires something like a rotor to apply it?

A Dual Action (D.A.) polisher is the preferred machine for polishing paint. Especially for the novice. A rotary machine takes years of experience to master. Mike Phillips has written extensively on DA polishers and polishing. I bet that Stinkin' Lincoln is a gem! :xyxthumbs: