PDA

View Full Version : Paint stripping

frankprozzoly
05-28-2014, 08:15 AM
I've been reading about what people use to strip the paint. I'm new so don't pound on me. But I thought before you start polishing you clay to strip the paint of everything. Would you strip using a liquid because the car doesn't need clayed?

wdmaccord
05-28-2014, 09:15 AM
Usually start with a good thorough wash. Some people use Dawn. A strong citrus car wash works well. I use Chemical Guys Citrus Wash Red. Then on to claying and polishing. Before claying you can use an iron remover if needed as well. Not sure if this helps...your question was a little unclear.

cleanmycorolla
05-28-2014, 09:27 AM
I've been reading about what people use to strip the paint. I'm new so don't pound on me. But I thought before you start polishing you clay to strip the paint of everything. Would you strip using a liquid because the car doesn't need clayed?

Example: You can use chemical cleaners to clean your paint after a polishing job, a few months down the road. Since it probably wont need to be clayed. Its an easy way to strip and clean your paint.

Clay removes contaminents bonded to the surface

trekkeruss
05-28-2014, 09:38 AM

The act of polishing will remove whatever was on the car, so stripping beforehand would be unnecessary. What vehicle are you working on, what was done to it before, and what are you attempting to remedy, and what tools and products do you have?

frankprozzoly
05-28-2014, 09:59 AM
I have a 13 accord. I've worked on it a little. No swirls just some scratches probably from not washing properly. What I meant with the question is I thought claying the car takes everything off the paint. I have a PC and megs 105 and205. I bought microfiber pads and optimum polish because megs was drying on me very fast. I'm trying microfiber pads because it seamed foam pads would nt get everything out. Maybe I'm not working it long enough or my technique isn't the greatest. I just started getting into this. I'm learning

cleanmycorolla
05-28-2014, 10:36 AM
I have a 13 accord. I've worked on it a little. No swirls just some scratches probably from not washing properly. What I meant with the question is I thought claying the car takes everything off the paint. I have a PC and megs 105 and205. I bought microfiber pads and optimum polish because megs was drying on me very fast. I'm trying microfiber pads because it seamed foam pads would nt get everything out. Maybe I'm not working it long enough or my technique isn't the greatest. I just started getting into this. I'm learning

Claying, IME, doesn't take of sealants, todays modern ones, you need to chemically abrade them off.

trekkeruss
05-28-2014, 10:41 AM
I have a 13 accord. I've worked on it a little. No swirls just some scratches probably from not washing properly. What I meant with the question is I thought claying the car takes everything off the paint.

I think it may depend on what kind of clay. Regardless, claying is really only about removing bonded contaminants, not stripping.

I have a PC and megs 105 and205. I bought microfiber pads and optimum polish because megs was drying on me very fast. I'm trying microfiber pads because it seamed foam pads would nt get everything out. Maybe I'm not working it long enough or my technique isn't the greatest. I just started getting into this. I'm learning

What pads were you using? Did you prime the pads and then add a few drops? How large an area are you trying to polish? What speed are you using? Are you doing it in a garage or outside; is the surface cool? How often are you cleaning or changing pads?

frankprozzoly
05-28-2014, 11:11 AM
I use hex logic orange and white. I prime with a spray of garry Dean. Spread 2by2 area on 1. Then I use speed 5. I usually just do one or two doors in one day. Seems megs 105 drys almost immediately. I put 3 small drops and I almost spray the pad every other pass because of dryness. I read that Honda paint is soft and the green and blue pad are recommended. I'm going to try megs microfiber pads with optimum cut and polish. It's supposed to work longer

frankprozzoly
05-28-2014, 11:12 AM
And I'm inside a garage

wdmaccord
05-28-2014, 11:26 AM
I use hex logic orange and white. I prime with a spray of garry Dean. Spread 2by2 area on 1. Then I use speed 5. I usually just do one or two doors in one day. Seems megs 105 drys almost immediately. I put 3 small drops and I almost spray the pad every other pass because of dryness. I read that Honda paint is soft and the green and blue pad are recommended. I'm going to try megs microfiber pads with optimum cut and polish. It's supposed to work longer

If you have a 13 Accord, very doubtful you need to be using M105 on it, unless you have completely trashed the paint. The first time I did mine after picking it up, I used Megs UC on an orange pad and it came out nearly perfect and ready for sealant. I went ahead and polished it, but wouldn't have had to. I used a GG6 with orange LC CCS pad.

frankprozzoly
05-28-2014, 02:06 PM
the car just has scratches probably from not washing it correctly. nothing major. but polish doesn't seem to take them out. that's why i went to 105. i'll look up that megs uc

asalesagent912
05-28-2014, 05:56 PM
the car just has scratches probably from not washing it correctly. nothing major. but polish doesn't seem to take them out. that's why i went to 105. i'll look up that megs uc
megs 105 does dry quickly i had the same problem. some here use it and love it. they say
to spray a little water. i went to menzerna fg400. great coumpund and finishes nice too.

Evan.J
05-28-2014, 09:23 PM
Frank can you post photos of the condition of the paint so we can get an idea of what you are working on?

You can always give me a call and I can do my best to help over the phone as well.

105 does dry very quickly so using a spray of water to reactive the compound is need to work it a but longer.

Sounds like you might need tweak your technique just a little bit.

wdmaccord
05-28-2014, 10:20 PM

This was my result on a trashed black 2009 Accord with Megs UC on an orange CCS pad

CDot
05-28-2014, 10:20 PM

I have the HexLogic Orange/White pads and used Megs Ultimate Compound for the wife's Honda Pilot. It's awesome, has a long work time, barely dusts if at all, and finishes very well.

Spray the pad a couple times with a pad conditioner spray or rinseless wash (diluted to detail/clay lube ratio). You can't really prime Hex pads like flat pads so put about 5 dots of UC on the pad and then go over a section very lightly at Speed 2 (if you're using a DA polisher). This "primes" the hex pad, covering the face with product. Then put 4 more dots of UC on the pad and work the section on speed 5-6. For additional sections use 4 dots of product. I've been able to do 6 sections before having to sub a new pad in.