PDA

View Full Version : CarPro PERL how do YOU apply it?

Pages : [1] 2

EVOlved
05-27-2014, 11:03 AM
It seems as though I am reading mixed things as far as the application of PERL to tires mainly some spray it, some apply with a applicator. I just ordered some, so I am wondering how you apply it and why?

Just02896
05-27-2014, 11:12 AM
It seems as though I am reading mixed things as far as the application of PERL to tires mainly some spray it, some apply with a applicator. I just ordered some, so I am wondering how you apply it and why?

I used to wipe on but quickly switched to spraying on diluted 1:1 or 1:3 depending on level of gloss preferred. Let dwell for 10-15 minutes and then use a bunched up MF towel to pat dry any excess. I find this method to use less product, give a more consistent coat, and a better look overall.

EVOlved
05-27-2014, 11:14 AM
I used to wipe on but quickly switched to spraying on diluted 1:1 or 1:3 depending on level of gloss preferred. Let dwell for 10-15 minutes and then use a bunched up MF towel to pat dry any excess. I find this method to use less product, give a more consistent coat, and a better look overall.

Thank you for the fantastic feedback :dblthumb2:!

dpk20x
05-27-2014, 11:23 AM

I just started using the spray method as well. I think it was actually one of your older posts that inspired me to try it out. Soooo much better than any applicator I have ever used!!

ijm5012
05-27-2014, 12:22 PM

I dilute it 1:1, and put it in a 4oz. spray bottle. The sprayer does a very good job of "atomizing" the product. I'll go around the tire twice, spraying the product on the tire. I'll then use a brush to "work" the product in to the tire. Lastly, I'll spray a MF towel with some QD and go over the wheel to remove any potential overspray.

It works very well for me, and I LOVE PERL on tires. It gives a nice, natural black look to the tires and offers impressive water repellancy and durability.

10secdream
05-27-2014, 12:29 PM
I dilute it 1:1, and put it in a 4oz. spray bottle. The sprayer does a very good job of "atomizing" the product. I'll go around the tire twice, spraying the product on the tire. I'll then use a brush to "work" the product in to the tire. Lastly, I'll spray a MF towel with some QD and go over the wheel to remove any potential overspray.

It works very well for me, and I LOVE PERL on tires. It gives a nice, natural black look to the tires and offers impressive water repellancy and durability.

I use pretty much this same process and I get very consistent results and I use less product.

Pats300zx
05-27-2014, 12:39 PM
I have always sprayed onto an old grout sponge and applied. I think I am going to try the spray version and let it sit before working in. It seems that I have to go over the tire 2 or 3x's with the method I use to get complete and even coverage.

Just02896
05-27-2014, 01:21 PM
I forgot to mention that the only downfall is having to wipe the overspray from the wheels. Not a huge deal though, considering the big picture. :-)

Fat Mike
05-27-2014, 02:02 PM
I dilute it 1:1, and put it in a 4oz. spray bottle. The sprayer does a very good job of "atomizing" the product. I'll go around the tire twice, spraying the product on the tire. I'll then use a brush to "work" the product in to the tire.

Pretty much do the same thing. 4oz finger tip spray bottle, quick spritz around the tire and then I work it in with a cheap dollar store sponge. I like to go around once, work it in and move on to the other tires. Then come back for a second application. This leaves the tire a little darker and a nice even coverage all around.

Same process for trim and interior (with different dilutions), except I spray it on the applicator instead of directly onto the surface. I find this reduces the over-spray/mess

ijm5012
05-27-2014, 02:12 PM
Pretty much do the same thing. 4oz finger tip spray bottle, quick spritz around the tire and then I work it in with a cheap dollar store sponge. I like to go around once, work it in and move on to the other tires. Then come back for a second application. This leaves the tire a little darker and a nice even coverage all around.

Same process for trim and interior (with different dilutions), except I spray it on the applicator instead of directly onto the surface. I find this reduces the over-spray/mess

Yep. I like using a brush with PERL, but a sponge works just as well. I've just had bad experiences with sponges in the past (the product wicks up through the sponge and gets on your hand, makes a mess of things). I was skeptical at first, coming from other tire products (mostly Meg's Endurance, which I thought was quite good, but somewhat of a pain due to the higher viscosity), but PERL has exceeded my expectations, and I couldn't imagine using anything else now.

mwoolfso
05-27-2014, 03:05 PM
I have tried PERL using the spray-on-applicator and spray-direct-on-surface approaches and I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that the first approach garnered me longer durability than the second.

jmsc
05-27-2014, 03:59 PM
Can someone who has used PERL tell us what your prep was and the approx durability of this product? That would be helpful.

Peddiesake
05-27-2014, 04:45 PM
I bought one of those yellow and black applicators made of firm foam and curved especially for tires. I put the 1/1 mix in a small spray bottle and turn the tip to stream. Hold the applicator about an inch away from the curved surface and slowly and gently spray about four partial pulls of the trigger. Apply to the wheel, takes about a minute a tire. Gives the tire a new look without excessive shine. No sling, the look I want and lasts about 2 weeks if there are no torrential rains. On the interior, I cut a sponge 1x3 inches. Apply same way and paint the surface. Don't spray in the interior. Enjoy.

Radarryan
05-27-2014, 05:00 PM
I apply it with an applicator. I also apply it straight (not cut with distilled water). What I will do is take the applicator, tire swipe, grout sponge, etc. and pour the PERL on it, then swipe it on the tire. Even it out, let it dry, then sit back and admire! Happy detailing.

BobbyG
05-27-2014, 06:26 PM
I reduce CarPro PERL 1 part product to 3 parts distilled water. From there it's into a 16 ounce spray bottle....

Spray on, let dwell, then wipe with a terrycloth towel...:props: