PDA

View Full Version : First time doing a paint correction. Need a bit of advice.

dallusglockin
05-27-2014, 11:03 AM
I'm wanting to get into detailing as a hobby and want to try my hand at detailing my fiancé's car. It's a 2005 silver Mazda 3. It's not really taken care of, so it may a decent car to learn on.

I have accumulated a pretty decent arsenal of products thru AG and in a week or two plan on doing a full detail on her car. I am hoping this will be good practice and make her car look good again so that she will actually take care of it.

The (paint correction) goods I've bought over the part few months include:

GG6 polisher
Orange, white, and red LC CCS pads
WG swirl remover 3.0
WG finishing glaze 3.0
BF Total polish & seal
Nanoskin Eraser fine & medium
ONR (clay lube purposes)
Jetseal 109
Pete's 53
Various shampoos

Looking at the pictures, would it be possible to correct with the BF and an orange or white pad? Or is that too ambitious? I know the paint is fairly soft, and don't want to get on it too hard if I don't have to. And I would like a 1 step over a multi step process if at all possible. Or it may be better to learn using a multi step process... Either way, I'm turning to the gurus here for a little guidance in making this 3 shine like it used to!

***The photos are upside down, but I will fix them as soon as I get to the office. Stupid Tapatalk!!***

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/27/ra3y7ava.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/28/y7uja2e8.jpg

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

EVOlved
05-27-2014, 11:08 AM
Test spot and check he results no one can tell for sure what will work for you. Just maintain slow arm movement, don't over saturate the pad, and work in smallish sections.

cleanmycorolla
05-27-2014, 12:36 PM
you can probably take blackfire polish and seal out of the equation if youre doing a two step correction. Or you cna cut out the two steps and use just the TPNS.

refreshauto
05-27-2014, 12:59 PM
test spot, test spot test spot. start with the least abrasive product you have and work your way up from there. do this until you dial in what works best.

parttimer
05-27-2014, 01:08 PM
I can't see any defects you will be working out so I am not sure what would be the right product. TPNS is good but it is like a 1-2 on the cut scale so if you're looking for big fixes, don't look at TPNS. The twins will work out awesome for you if there is any swirling/haze/muck.

cardaddy
05-27-2014, 01:31 PM
Can't tell from those photos, but in my experience Mazda's have fairly hard (or at least an 8 out of 10) paint. I'd not think BF is going to get the job done all by itself. OTOH, the WG Twins should be OK, although with that orange pad you're going to need to THOROUGHLY work the product down on each section. It'll work for at least 7~8 (if not 8~10) passes.

That aside, WGSR 3.0 can be worked with the orange pad to do heavier correction, then the white to finish down. Might experiment with priming 2 pads, do the heavy correction first (orange pad) for 5~6 passes, then switch to a lightly primed white pad for 4~5 more passes and it'd be sort of like a 1.5 step process.