PDA

View Full Version : Question - opticoat after 2 Years

RandyD
05-26-2014, 06:09 PM
It is still going strong after 2 years. My question is in regards to the paint feeling a little rough like it needs to be clayed even though it looks great. Can you clay the paint with opticoat on it? Or should I use a mild polish?

CRyan
05-26-2014, 06:11 PM
It is still going strong after 2 years. My question is in regards to the paint feeling a little rough like it needs to be clayed even though it looks great. Can you clay the paint with opticoat on it? Or should I use a mild polish?

You can clay. Polishing will most likely remove the coating.

BobbyG
05-26-2014, 06:23 PM
My first question is how much coating is actually left after 2 years?

These coatings aren't permanent meaning they do eventually wear out and will need to be reapplied. After 2 years it might be time to polish the finish and apply a frest coat of Opti-Coat 2.0....:props:

RandyD
05-26-2014, 06:33 PM
I thought Opti-coat2 lasted longer than others. I actually thought it was for the life of the vehicle. If that's not the case, time for some polishing and trying something different for a change.

Lost Highway
05-26-2014, 07:27 PM
You absolutely can clay Opti-Coat, although I wouldn't recommend an extremely aggressive clay or clay substitute, and you might want to consider something like Iron-X too. The next step more aggressive would be Optimum Poli-Seal with a very light polishing or finishing pad. I would definitely try those steps before considering polishing it off.

ZeroSP
05-26-2014, 08:04 PM
In case you wondering, my car had Opti Coat on it for 5 years now, first application till now. Clayed it once a year all along.

I am thinking to give it a refreshing light polish when the weather permits here, it's rainy nowadays.

richy
05-26-2014, 09:12 PM
Another option for you would be to use a light polishing pad + DG Squeaky Clean. Refer to this for the success I had doing it:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/showthread.php?t=80862

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk