PDA

View Full Version : Foam vs Microfiber Pads For Soft Paint

Chriswrx85
05-26-2014, 02:58 PM
Going to do some work on my Subaru this weekend. I normally use foam pads as I can get away with using some fairly non aggressive pads to get good correction. I have been noticing that more and more people are using microfiber pads.

I was just wondering if I would get quicker or better results using a microfiber pad with my porter cable? Would microfiber be too aggressive on the soft Subaru paint?

minorc
05-26-2014, 03:33 PM
I have had good results with black pads and SF4000/4500

If the paint is really hammered I'll step up to a white pad

HUMP DIESEL
05-26-2014, 04:09 PM
I don't think on a Subaru you would need the MF pads, unless you use an MF finishing pad and a light polish to get the correction you need. I have used MF pads in the past, but I usually go to foam most of the time.

HUMP

Lost Highway
05-26-2014, 04:57 PM
First the disclaimer: I'm strictly an amateur and the pros probably do as many corrections in a week or two as I do in a year. I do, however, mostly work on soft paint Japanese cars.
So far, I've never run into a situation that called for MF pads on a Japanese car, something like a GMC truck is another matter. I think you can get plenty of correction out of foam pads and appropriate compounds and polishes. Further, my limited experience suggests that MF pads are more likely to leave their own micro-marring.

Chriswrx85
05-26-2014, 06:30 PM
What brand of black pads would you guys recommend?

Hex logic? LC Flat? CCS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lost Highway
05-26-2014, 07:38 PM
It depends on how much correction you need and which polish you are using. I primarily use the Buff & Shine pads in Green, Blue or Black but I also keep some LC Hydro Tech (7/8") Crimson pads and regular LC flat pads around. Personally, I don't like the CCS pads.

Chriswrx85
05-26-2014, 08:04 PM
Probably using SF4000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShinyRex
05-26-2014, 08:51 PM
I have a 2011 Subaru, for me I have had great luck with a Tangerine Hydro-tech with v36 for defects and crimson with SF4500 for minor swirls. However this does not hold true for the bumpers and spoiler they were a bit harder.

I think MF would be over kill unless it is really bad...just my .02

Evan.J
05-26-2014, 08:54 PM
I've used the Meg's MF finishing pads on Teslas and they finish down perfectly.

spiralout462
05-26-2014, 10:56 PM
On Toyota black(202) a Tangerine Hydrotech and Wolfgang Finishing Glaze has produced rolling mirrors for me.

If I could just keep it that way...........

cardaddy
05-27-2014, 12:55 AM
I wouldn't even THINK of putting a microfiber pad on uber soft Subaru paint. :eek: That is where you really need to remember, "use the least aggressive method". I'd also start with DAT products over SMAT on really soft paint as well. ;)