PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed with ASR, swirls are still there...

Pages : [1] 2

Mydnyghte
07-24-2007, 10:17 PM
I bought some ASR and AFP about a year ago to use on my Mustang, and it worked pretty well. Fast forward, and since that day a lot has changed with my car. It got totally repainted about 7 months ago, with a concourse level paint job and the entire car now has a mirror finish. Which really helps me notice all the little mars and swirl marks. The other day I wanted to try and remove as many as possible, and ASR did nothing for me at all. XMT 360 makes the car look SPECTACULAR, but does nothing for the majority of the marks that irritate me.

What are some ideas guys?

I want so bad to be able to look into the paint and feel like I am being pulled into a black hole, but instead I see all this little swirls.

Is it unreasonable to have a black car and want it entirely swirl free?

Oh and I used ASR with an orange pad on the attempted swirl removal..

D
07-24-2007, 10:22 PM
What is ASR? Might be able to help you if I knew what that is.

Mydnyghte
07-24-2007, 10:27 PM
Advanced Swirl Remover

I know that there is a newer formula available, but I wanted to see if there was another line other than Pinnacle that might be better. I've used nothing but Pinnacle, but the OCD detailer inside me is whispering " i wonder if theres anything better....."

D
07-24-2007, 10:34 PM
Ohhh, alright. Pinnacle ASR. Just never seen the ASR before.

Youve got a few choices here. I dont know how bad your swirls are though.

Optimum Polish or Compound, Menzerna FP or IP, or XMT #2 or #3.

Optimum Polish and Compound can finish LSP ready. Menzerna FP and IP probably can too, but I havent used them. Ive only used Menzerna SIP and 106ff, both of which can finish LSP ready. XMT #2 or #3 will probably require going over with XMT #1.

Optimum has virtually no dust, but longer working times. The polish is a little hard to remove, expect to use a QD with MF to aid in removing it. I assume Menzerna FP and IP dust a little because 106ff and SIP dust a little. XMT #2 and #3 dust a fair amount. But were designed to be used with the PC.

If it was me, Id go with Optimum or Menzerna. Youll be happy either way.

Mydnyghte
07-24-2007, 10:57 PM
I do have some XMT #2, and that did not help me either. I think I may give that Menzerna a whirl.

Is it too much of a desire to have a black car with zero swirl marks? Or will there always be just a few? I ask because I am awfully obsessive, and if I know that there is a possibility of swirl free paint, then I will pursue it:D

D
07-24-2007, 11:05 PM
With the right products, making black paint swirl free is possible. Now keeping it that way for a long period of time might be a different story.

Mydnyghte
07-24-2007, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the help Dan.:cheers:

Tomorrow I will get some pics of what I am talking about, as I am not quite done detailing the car. What would you use to keep the minor swirls in control?

D
07-24-2007, 11:33 PM
You gotta make sure you're washing and taking care of the paint correctly and your swirl free finish will last longer. I would plan on polishing the car once a year and waxing every 2 months. Now if youve got some minor stuff you want to take care of between polishing, then Id go with ClearKote Red Moose Machine Glaze, or XMT 360. CK is your typical glaze that will help hide imperfections, and is awesome on black. XMT 360 has ultra fine abrasives thatll correct minor stuff, but is also has fillers and polymers in it. So itll correct some stuff, fill some stuff, and provide a sealant like protection. But it doesnt have a cure time.

2KLS1
07-24-2007, 11:49 PM
I do have some XMT #2, and that did not help me either. I think I may give that Menzerna a whirl.

Is it too much of a desire to have a black car with zero swirl marks? Or will there always be just a few? I ask because I am awfully obsessive, and if I know that there is a possibility of swirl free paint, then I will pursue it:D Like Dan said keeping it perfect is a different story. Don't drive yourself crazy, its not worth it, I gave that up a while ago. Keep it as clean as you can, use good technique when washing and give a light polishing once maybe twice a year. Trust me you'll enjoy the car more if you're not so obsessive about keeping it completely perfect and swirl free all the time.

D
07-24-2007, 11:50 PM
The only way to keep black PERFECT is to never let it out of the garage.

Mydnyghte
07-25-2007, 12:10 AM
It spends a decent amount of time in the garage, it is not my daily driver. And keeping it perfect I know would mean a lifestyle change! I just want to do what I can to insure good, clean looking paint for a long time. I figure anything small that I can do NOW will pay off in years to come. Like never grabbing the side of the door when closing it, something small, but I look at other black cars that this is never practiced on and I see what that habit can lead to.

My name is Caleb, and I am OCD:D

klumzypinoy
07-25-2007, 12:40 AM
Maybe you have hard paint :) Good luck with taking the swirls out. You probably need some Menzerna for scratchless clear coats.

Mydnyghte
07-25-2007, 01:16 AM
Maybe you have hard paint :) Good luck with taking the swirls out. You probably need some Menzerna for scratchless clear coats.

Thats another thing I was wondering about, because when my buddy painted it, he used Dupont paint. I was curious if that had a tendency to be harder than what came from the factory......

klumzypinoy
07-25-2007, 02:26 AM
Thats another thing I was wondering about, because when my buddy painted it, he used Dupont paint. I was curious if that had a tendency to be harder than what came from the factory......

I don't know about paint, but it's my guess :) you should ask your buddy about the paint.

Mydnyghte
07-25-2007, 11:01 PM
Here is a quick cellphone pic of what I am wanting to get rid of. Certain areas have more swirls than others.

click for bigger
http://thumb13.webshots.net/t/55/455/5/63/39/2666563390028828893eypbwu_th.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2666563390028828893eypbwu)