PDA

View Full Version : foamers, so many, but which for what?

TurboToys
05-25-2014, 11:09 PM
i first wanted a soap foam gun such as the gilmours style. then noticed there was a pressure washer one as well (i own a 3k psi pressure washer that i don't use for cars much). and then i see there is also a tornador foam gun that works off the solution and compressed air (i have a big enough compressor to use as well, plenty big).

my problem is.... what is going to work best for what application?

some people will pull their pressure washer out every time they wash a car, which isn't what i do because mine is gas powered. so i figured this would be out of the running, even though it provides probably the best of both worlds in the foam category.

and likewise, some people without will just use a hose, but the one thing i wish the water foam guns did was give a longer clinging foam.

and i haven't seen many threads on it at all, but can the tornador foam gun be used as a first step in a wash with no problems? such as, can i use something like the foam gun to lay down a thick soap foam on the car, let it dwell for a minute or two, then blast off or just wash directly over it?

and how well does each of these types of applications work for stripping lsps with something like a high concentration of a solution like CG-CWG, or dawn, or anything used as a stripping agent, possibly a foaming apc even.

sorry for so many questions, but this is something thats been bugging me, and i held out on purchasing one through the memorial day sale because i didn't want to end up wasting money on something that wasn't going to be the best for my application

EVOlved
05-25-2014, 11:31 PM
From what you are saying if the air compressor is readily accessible to where you normally wash the car I would go with the tornador.

Yes you can use it as a prerinse or for lubrication during a mitt wash.

P.S. If that is a turbo six speed you have one of my favorite rides there.

TurboToys
05-26-2014, 12:47 AM
From what you are saying if the air compressor is readily accessible to where you normally wash the car I would go with the tornador.

Yes you can use it as a prerinse or for lubrication during a mitt wash.

P.S. If that is a turbo six speed you have one of my favorite rides there.

it is, 93 tt 6spd. wing goes on and off depending on how i feel lol.

as far as the tornador how does the tornador stack up to the regular foamer gun if you were to put them side by side in a test to see which one helped the washing process the most? best presoak, best wash aid, best dwell? tornador over the soap gun because of the high foaming and cling?

i also like the idea of the tornador foam for wheels because anyone with aftermarket wheels knows you have to treat them just like paint, so the more soak the better. harder to get a real good soak going on without something that foams.

shagnat
05-26-2014, 08:42 PM
I think this is a classic case of OCD :)

tnecniv
05-26-2014, 08:46 PM
Sorry, but that is one sexy Supra.

TurboToys
05-26-2014, 11:05 PM
Not so much ocd, but more trying to save the paint as much as possible and have a good tool for engine bay washes and such. I went ahead and picked up the tornador because of its usefulness in using apcs in engine bays and for using less water in general, mostly wanted something for a good presoak and I think this will be fine.

And I get that alot with this car, hard to go anywhere without having people stop and talk to you or honk and wave, thumbs up, etc.