PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Yellow Applicator Pads

Pages : [1] 2

RBJR
05-25-2014, 07:41 PM
Greetings All,

What is the best way to clean these? I would separate them out.

Thanks in advance.

Ray

MarkD51
05-25-2014, 08:17 PM
A Polishing Pad Cleaner seems to work best for me.

Gen9Rolla
05-25-2014, 08:40 PM
^ or just APC

WAXOFF
05-25-2014, 08:40 PM
I use APC and my pressure washer.

jamesboyy
05-25-2014, 08:42 PM
I take mine and place them in either pad cleaner or a apc solution for 15 to 30 mins then under running water massage the pad till the water is clear and free of any product you could also rub it against your grit guard too

swanicyouth
05-25-2014, 08:43 PM
IME it varies greatly what product you are trying to remove from the pad. Most polishes are removed with APC/pad cleaner and a pad brush without too much issue.

Waxes are more difficult to remove, although this varies depending on the specific wax. Sealants tend to be the toughest to remove - everyone seems to have a method that works for them for that purpose.

RBJR
05-25-2014, 08:57 PM
IME it varies greatly what product you are trying to remove from the pad. Most polishes are removed with APC/pad cleaner and a pad brush without too much issue.

Waxes are more difficult to remove, although this varies depending on the specific wax. Sealants tend to be the toughest to remove - everyone seems to have a method that works for them for that purpose.

Appreciate the feedback so far. I should have been more clear with my question. I am most interested in properly cleaning the pad after using Fuzion wax.

Don't mind at all tossing 1 away after a single use if there is more of a probability of cleaning, re-using, not getting as clean as it needs to be and end up scratching the clear coat.

swanicyouth
05-25-2014, 09:02 PM
I use mineral spirits to clean the "UFO" type wax applicators that come with Füzion. It's the only stuff I found to completely remove all traces of wax/hybrid wax from applicators. I buy good applicators, so I don't want to just throw them out. It may take a 50˘ worth of mineral spirits to clean a $6 applicator.

Just my preference, but if I couldn't get them 100% clean and polymer free - I would toss them out. I just can't see polishing a car and then using a slimy applicator that was "saved in a bag" from the last time to apply wax.

jsgntulok
05-25-2014, 10:05 PM
The yellow applicator pads are so cheap I toss them after use with Fuzion.

Pureshine
05-25-2014, 10:11 PM
Once I've used both sides I toss them out way to cheap to waste time cleaning sealant or wax out of them.

Vengenz
05-25-2014, 10:31 PM
Maybe I am doing it incorrectly but they just get tossed into the washing machine with the rest of my towels/detailing applicators. No problems as of yet.

VP Mark
05-25-2014, 10:58 PM
I usually stick my applicators in a bucket with 1/2 cup ProForce degreaser. After a good soak wring them out then rinse them by hand. Usually look brand new and are clear of all residue.

spiralout462
05-25-2014, 11:18 PM
Applicators that have sealant on/in them I soak in "Safer" Mineral Spirits for a while. I then wash them in some kind of detergent followed by many rinses.

spiralout462
05-25-2014, 11:19 PM
Maybe I am doing it incorrectly but they just get tossed into the washing machine with the rest of my towels/detailing applicators. No problems as of yet.

With nice towels?

RBJR
05-25-2014, 11:22 PM
I agree--- the yellow applicator pads are cheap --- Trash Can it is. Can I get some suggestions on what type of applicator pad you would be using to apply Fuzion wax or a similar wax? I do like the Megs Microfiber Applicator Pad --- Very nice.