PDA

View Full Version : Rain spots on selant

Black2014Q60
05-25-2014, 06:32 PM
Maybe a stupid question, but I always wonder this when reading post and product reviews.

When having a sealant or even a wax on car. If it rains and you can't or don't get to you car for hours or the day. What happens to the rain drops on paint? If a sealant protects the paint,over a few hours isn't the water going to dry into the sealant anyways?

If anyone can explain about the rain and how the sealant helps that be great.

EVOlved
05-25-2014, 07:08 PM
You have actually already stated how it helps actually, the water is sitting on the sealant not the clear coat of the car or the the paint (if you have single stage paint). So the water "spots" are only on the sealant not the paint and easily taken care of. Now you need to make sure this does not happen during the cure time of the sealant though for sure.

Black2014Q60
05-25-2014, 07:11 PM
So the water drys into the sealant not the paint? Now if it's 95 out and the water etches in that is etching through the sealant and Into paint?

Sorry if I sound like an idiot just trying to learn.

EVOlved
05-25-2014, 07:24 PM
It is possible so I'll have to say yes but the sealant is the sacrificial layer. So it is doing its best to protect from this bird dropping etchings which are far more likely to cause a problem because of the acidity unless your rain is very acidic.

FUNX650
05-26-2014, 12:13 AM
Reading this thread will give you a better insight to water etching(s), IMHO.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/31611-water-etch-marks-after-2-layers-waxing.html

And from the above thread:

Just makes the point that anything strong enough, or corrosive enough to etch paint is strong enough to eat past a micron, or sub-micron thin layer of wax or paint sealant.

Makes you wonder what's in the water?

Bob

chet31
05-26-2014, 01:09 AM
There is a big difference between rain and faucet water. Rain is soft water and fairly harmless. After it rains, it's time to wash your car, nothing more. Sprinkler water on the other hand is usually hard water, and if it dries on your car, is a much bigger problem for clear coat.